+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ediquitte with religious figure

Okay, I've never had a priest visit our house before but with two active boys (33mths and 11mths) the local pastor suggested to come by our house to discuss our baby's baptism. It's for 7pm and my husband said that he guesses the pastor will be staying for dinner. What do you think? What would you do? Before DH said anything I thought light refreshments and tea/coffee. What would you serve?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would call and ask him if he'd like to stay for dinner (if that's what you want). In my experience, priests are very busy people and you may find he has another appointment after yours, so you'd hate to cook dinner and then find he can't stay and needs to rush off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If it was booked for 7pm, my assumption would be that he was coming after dinner, so I would definitely check first. Usually just tea/ coffee and biscuits would be absolutely fine.

Perhaps ask him casually - e.g., "Will you have eaten before you come, or would you like to join us for dinner?"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would just call and ask as well. Don't worry, priests are just people too and are very casual these days, so if you don't want to call I am sure tea and refreshments would be great for 7pm. He has probably made it that time to be after dinner but not too late for you all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would think that he's expecting to come after you have had your dinner & maybe have coffee and biscuits/cake available. At least if you have something light available you are covered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for all the replies! With the two little ones, we usually have dinner 5:30 - 6pm and I wouldn't like to be entertaining the kids in one room and the pastor eating dinner with us in the other! I'll ring to make sure but I'm hoping the light refreshments will be the go.