+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Cards been frozen

My bank just called me to ask if I attempted to make a $0.92 registration on a google website about 10 minutes ago. I hadn't so of course I said no, so now they have to freeze my debit card details until I get a replacement card.
    The payment got declined anyway.
    Grr.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Good they caught it early. My card got done a while ago, around $500 worth of charges. Got it all back but it was a bit of a pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Was it definitely your bank calling? I have never heard of a bank calling to check on a transaction.. normally people have to chase them!

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tasha74 View Post
    Was it definitely your bank calling? I have never heard of a bank calling to check on a transaction.. normally people have to chase them!
    My bank called me, on a Sunday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    My bank called me, on a Sunday.

Good to hear they get on top of it as soon as something looks suss! With all the scams around i am always weary of calls like that until they confirm only details they would know

6. The Following User Says Thank You to insanity For This Useful Post:

Jay87  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Banks call, they watch for transactions like these because they are generally a test to see if they can access the account. If successful they throw a whole lot of other transactions on. Glad the banks are on to it & hopefully you get your access back soon!

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum gets them a fair bit. She got one when she bought matching laptops for herself and me, again when she lent DH & I the money to o the same, she also made a purchase of over 10K in 2 transactions at a store recently over 2 days. she had not shopped there again so called to check. She says the calls to check are great, but wishes just once she could say no so they didn't think she did frivolous spending.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep banks do call. Happened to me once when I made 2 transactions at myer for the same value in a very short period of time. They called to verify the transactions.

Anyway it is great that they called I as some ppl try your card on small amount then do something big!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah they called because 1) the transaction declined and 2) because it was made in USA.
    It was definitely them as they checked a few other transactions I'd made recently (iPhone Apps and the full payment for my study)
    I'm glad they are onto it, just a bit annoying I can't use my card til I get my new one.

Maybe it's a good excuse to steal DFs and spend up big.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mums bank rang her once in December as they were concerned that there had been so many large amounts spend at overseas stores. Mum was so embarassed, as it was just her overspending in the lead up to Xmas.