+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That back pain, nauseau, cramps etc are part of having a period (for some), but they can be managed with ponstan/naprogesic/nurofen etc. I was bedridden as a young girl during my period til mum and I realized 'period pain' medication existed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As a child I once bleed really heavily - through everything and onto the matress - my step mother went balistic

When I was pregnant my MIL made me a few lined mattress protectors for the weeks after birth - I've kept them - they are simply thin quilted flannelett - for when DD starts menstruation - just for that added pyschological comfort of knowing *if* she bleeds heavily it's easily cleaned up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps get her liners to use as well in case she isn't tracking and so she catches any surprise bleeds while her cycle settles in.

Also if she is still in primary school let her teacher or someone she trusts know. I say this because my bosses daughter choose to ignore that she was now getting her period and on a school excursion started her period and got embarrassed about what to do. Luckily her teacher now realises the girls in her class are at an age where this might happen and she keeps an emergency pack somewhere where the girls can find them without having to ask.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peasmum View Post
    I remember reading in Dolly about Toxic Shock Syndrome from tampons. Could this be what u had?

Sorry to crash the thread with a silly question but... What is a mensural
    Cup?
    an AWESOME alternative to tampons!!

I'll link the one I have but there are MANY.

pages of info in the link and if you look in the 'cloth pad' section on here you'll find threads on them

http://www.lunette.com/

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=peasmum;6417209]I remember reading in Dolly about Toxic Shock Syndrome from tampons. Could this be what u had?

That is what the doctor diagnosed but because it disappeared a day later they didn't do any further tests. I think I may just have a sensitivity to tampons because I have started to get the same dizziness and nausea on other occasions but just take the tampon out ASAP... And I was always told toxic shock was caused by leaving them in for too long without changing them but I would only ever leave them in for a short time due to heavy bleeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peasmum View Post

Sorry to crash the thread with a silly question but... What is a mensural
    Cup?
    I am glad you said that because I have never heard of that before until now! Lol. Naive much???
    I did google it earlier out of curiosity... Interesting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I absolutely hated my period from the day I got it at the tender age of 10, my parents were always open with all of us about the changes that happen etc but I wanted to run and hide and to this day I still hate my period, I've always said that once I've finished having kids the doctors can take it all out. I found out a couple of years later that my mum had told all the other mums that I had got my period so with each other girl that got their period their mum would comfort them by saying " cluky79 has it" I was mortified to say the least and have never really spoken to my mum about my private problems since.
    So maybe ask your daughter if it's ok to tell etc and in general ask her how she feels about getting it, she may be happy about it unlike me.

My mum also used to comfort me by telling me the benefits from getting it e.g. Able to have children etc but really at the age of 10 it was no consolation. Mum used to buy everything for me pads etc but she had also got a few different brands for me to try, I would not be caught dead in the pad isle.

My periods were heavy and extremely painful (in later year diagnosed as having PCOS) I was lucky that my mum had suffered the same way so I was able to leave school if I needed to, my parents were strict on attending school so it was a big thing to go home.

Tell her about the hormones and that sometimes you'll cry for no reason and that it's ok, it's ok that you get some on your undies like PP have said.

I begged my mum for a bin to be placed in the toilet but she refused but this would have saved me a lot of embarrassment having to walk past everyone in the lounge to put the pad in the bin (I could never quite articulate that to her hence the refusal for a bin, plus she wouldn't have seen that as embarrassing)

Good on you for getting your daughter to chart it all, although my parents were good at informing us it took me all these year and ttc to understand how my body works completely.

You sound like you are doing a fantastic job Hun, don't be too hard on yourself about not having the pack ready on time.

So sorry for the long post, looks like I have some unresolved issues lol

Come on hubby let's go and make baby #2 pretty please, I'm so clucky
    DSD, DS = soon to be 1

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    Show her how to soak her knickers in Napisan if she has a leak so she can deal with them herself.
    THIS! I was always upset at 'making a mess' when I had my period

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe some nappy sacks in the toilet so she can dispose of her used pads nicely and no so smelly!

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Charting is a fantastic idea! I will teach my daughter about all the symptoms of period, cervical mucous all that stuff. Give her options about what to use (I never got a choice tampons were bad as far as mum was concerned) and assure her it's nothing to be embarrassed bout. Wow just had the realization that I will have to teach my daughter about all of this!