+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'd reassure her that you won't be angry at her if she leaks on her clothes/knickers. I'd also be warning her father to not react negatively if she does that too. I remember I once got my period when I didn't expect to. I was 12 and not really keeping track of mine... and it just came about during a movie. These days I can feel it, but then I couldn't... and got up to a big red patch on my light shorts. My Dad flipped out and acted like I'd just intentionally smeared poo all over hte walls or something. It was horrible. It's not like I had done it on purpose.

Mum used to whinge at me if I leaked on my knickers too. It would make me feel bad, because again, it was never intentional. I sometimes threw undies away, because I'd rather her complain about me losing stuff than make me feel ashamed for leaking.

I'd also let her know to come to you if ever it causes a lot of pain for her. Everyone says periods are painful, so when my kidneys would ache like hell in my teenage years, I thought it was normal. I was in agony, seriously. Horrible feeling. I think it'd have been nice if I knew it was abnormal and could have had it checked out (having a baby fixed it, but jeez, you don't want that happening... lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Tell her about cervical mucous.. Noone ever told me about the 'jelly' that makes your undies soggy 2 weeks b4 you get your period.

Tell her to always have spare pads on hand, and to never laugh at someone who has bled through her clothes. I remember a girl st school bleeding thru her uniform and being mortified. Noone bothered to tell her till it was extremely obvious, poor girl.

Lastly I would say how wise it is to keep a note of your cycle and possible irregularities in case of bad things like pcos or endometriosis.
    Last edited by misho; 03-03-2012 at 19:32.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    That it can smell when it's really heavy. And that usually only you can smell the smell, but you do have to be really particular with personal hygiene especially during your period.
    I remember freaking out during my first few because all I could smell, was that smell... and spraying my bedroom with damn vanilla scented air freshener (hate the smell of vanilla anything to this day ) trying to cover it!

I agree re wings on pads- I didn't discover them til I was 16, and I can't even recall how many times I came home from school having leaked on the sides and into my undies...

And I also agree re Dolly magazine.. my Mum was really good about all that kind of stuff, but I was a shy kid and never wanted to talk about it, so I learnt almost everything from that mag. Love it or hate it- it can be very useful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Menstrual Cups!

and like someone said ovulation discharge (mucous).

CELEBRATE entering womanhood

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish i'd known about the dangers of tampons. My mum used a menstrual cup, but she never informed me about them. When i'm not pregnant i use a cup now, it makes my periods so much more bearable!

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    CELEBRATE entering womanhood
    My Mum took me out to lunch with my Nanna and Aunt to celebrate my womanhood. I found it embarrasing at the time, but now i love that she did it.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    As rare as it is, I'd warn her that if she starts to feel strange in any way while using tampons to take it out as soon as possible and tell someone.

In about year 9 at school, i had my period at school and suddenly felt very ill and faint so I tried to walk home. I fainted on the way home (about 200 m up the road) and had to stop at a house and ask for help before fainting again. I ended up having violent diarhhoea and vomiting due to a reaction from using tampons.
    I have been able to use them since but only if I have to and I only ever use the smallest organic ones available and for a very short time.

I had no idea what was happening to me and would never have linked it to my period if the doctor hadn't suggested it..
    Probably the scariest thing about my period I think..

I'd also explain cycles and stuff as I had no idea about any of that until ttc#1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeamummy View Post
    I wish I had known about tampons earlier because I hate pads. I haven't used a pad except after childbirth since.
    Me too!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Anything! My mum didn't talk to me at all about it, I worked everything out from dolly. She didn't even know I was getting my period until I had to get her to open the boot of the car on a trip to get at my tampons.

I will tell my daughter that it's nothing to be embarrassed about, and that it will be horribly uncomfortable at times but that it can also be life affirming in a strange sort of way.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

jemmajam  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2girls1boyplus1 View Post
    As rare as it is, I'd warn her that if she starts to feel strange in any way while using tampons to take it out as soon as possible and tell someone.

In about year 9 at school, i had my period at school and suddenly felt very ill and faint so I tried to walk home. I fainted on the way home (about 200 m up the road) and had to stop at a house and ask for help before fainting again. I ended up having violent diarhhoea and vomiting due to a reaction from using tampons.
    I have been able to use them since but only if I have to and I only ever use the smallest organic ones available and for a very short time.

I had no idea what was happening to me and would never have linked it to my period if the doctor hadn't suggested it..
    Probably the scariest thing about my period I think..

I'd also explain cycles and stuff as I had no idea about any of that until ttc#1.
    I remember reading in Dolly about Toxic Shock Syndrome from tampons. Could this be what u had?

Sorry to crash the thread with a silly question but... What is a mensural
    Cup?