+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Things that helped my dd.

Heat packs for pain relief
    Nurofen works better than panadol.
    Explain the benefits of having a period.

Order samples from the net so that she can try different brands, shapes and sizes. My dd never liked what i liked.

Talk to here about using fold TP if out and doesn't have anything on hand.

Buy a nice change purse, put a pad, spare knicker etc... to keep in her school port

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A little bit off topic but this thread made me realise that I'm having a girl and I'm going to need to go through these issues in 12 years? oh sh!t..

Dolly magazine was always my best friend as I was an extremely shy child even asking my mum questions. For me to some extent I respected the privacy but wish my mum was more open and made me feel more relaxed about this issue.

I agree with the "bum shorts" or bloomers over my knickers during. I also agree with PP if it hasn't settled in regards to regularity or flow within a reasonable amount of time she should know about issues earlier on rather than waiting. I wish I had known earlier about having fertility issues rather than just being put on the pill when I was 15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wish I had known before my period started that your first period can start with a few days of brown discharge. So when this happened I would of know what was happening not think I was dying or something

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

jemmajam  (05-03-2012),MoonstoneMare  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The cramps you get when you get your periods!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    An awesome pain relief - buscopan! Only need one every four or so
    Hours. It's a smooth muscle
    Relaxant and the pains related with period are all due to smooth muscles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ditto what PPs said about tampons, and especially that you need to push them in all the way. My first time, I didn't insert far enough . Needless to say that wasn't good or comfortable! I've also heard a story of a girl who didn't even know to insert it, just sat it between her labia, eek!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

Boost  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some things I would do differently than my Mum did:

- Don't tell her siblings/friends/extended family that she has started having periods

- Let HER choose which products she would like to use

- Tell her how long she should expect each one to last for

- This sounds stupid, but if she's only 12, maybe make sure she knows the difference between her vagina and her pee hole. I didnt at that age, but luckily also didn't get my first period until much later

- Once you've given her all the info/stuff she will need, leave her to it. I wish I'd known sooner that it was no big deal ...

It sounds like you've done a wonderful job of explaining everything to her

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I'd known about menstrual cups and cloth pads/panty liners. So much better than plastic pads and potentially toxic tampons.

Pain relief options would have been good to know about too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Bloating - I wish I'd known about bloating, the changes to your skin, the nausea etc

I wish someone had told me to be introspective and track all the changes in my body

Also I wish I'd known about ovulation pains

I wish I'd known about menstral cups - they're probably not for young girls but they are an option down the track

Cloth pads - I wish I'd had the option - maybe again not for a young girl starting out but a nice overnight one even
    Last edited by WorkingClassMum; 04-03-2012 at 13:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i was extremely shy and when mine started to shy to talk to mum about periods so i thought you bled non stop till you fell pregnant lol i figured it out by my self rather quickly that it did stop again each month lol. my mum had explained it you get it every month but didnt say for how long so my first one i just assumed it conntinued forever