+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by felicita View Post
    I had a day2 transfer of 4cell embryos in December

I am currently pregnant with 2 embies that were running a day late in their development on day 5. We had morulas transferred, and both of them must have continued development through blastocyst stage and implanted, even though we didn't get to see that stage in the lab. So, even going to day 5 doesn't guarantee a blastocyst transfer. Out of 8 egg collections we only ever had 1 early blast on day 5, and never anything good enough to freeze on day 6 either.
    Wow this gives me hope. My last cycle I got 9 embies but all but one arrested on day 5. The one that has been frozen ran a day late too but turned blast at day 6. I thought it meant it probably would be no good as it was slow but maybe not????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have had 4 transfers in total (one at 5 days, one at 4 days and one at 3 days). My last in November was a day 2 transfer of two embryos. I am now 16 weeks pregnant so it does work it just depends on individual circumstances each cycle I think.

Good luck and I hope your fs can answer all your questions

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HamptonK For This Useful Post:

Little Feet  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks to all of you for your replies.

It is good to know that it can work from a 2 day transfer. I only got 2 eggs, luckily both fertilised but maybe that is why FS decided to do the transfer on day 2. It would have made it easier for me if she explained this to me though. I have found that through each stage unless I query anything she doesn't tell me the process, this was my first cycle so it would have been good to have had more information from her.

Still trying to work out whether to just try straight away with my frozen emby or wait.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I had a day 2 transfer on my first ICSI cycle that resulted in a pregnancy. I will be 39 weeks pregnant tomorrow so it can happen. We did IVF cause I have lowish AMH and were using donor sperm (same sex relationship) and cause I was 35 not for other fertility issues. My FS was of the opinion to get the embryo back in ASAP as inside mum is the best place for it. Clearly in my case she was right. Good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Loulabelle For This Useful Post:

Little Feet  (06-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Little Feet, my 14 month old dd was a 4 cell 2 day transfer. I had 3 eggs fertilise (out of 4 retrieved). I tend to think different clinics have better success rates with different day embies.

Good luck!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesMum33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had two successful pregnancies from 2 day transfers. And a m/c from a 5 day transfer... in saying that... if you want every chance for all of them to work it is safer to transfer at day 2.

If you get a lot of eggs and a lot fertilitized (and say you only want 1 or 1 more child) they may take them to day 3 or 5 and you are looking for the 'best one' and aren't looking for all of them to work.

We have 2 DD's now and hoping for number 3... that's why the last IVF cycle we transferred on day 5.

All the best... your FS knows what they're doing.. but IVF is such an emotional rollercoaster it is very normal to question it all, it's important to understand it all too.. Fingers crossed for you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Misty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Littlefeet,

Sorry about you BFN :-(
    We too had a 2 day transfer, 1 x 4 cell and 1 x 2 cell and got our BFP. My FS has the same view, get them back where they belong. It was our first full cycle too. We have to wait till the 13th to see if it's twins or not. Our FS always does 2 day transfer and he has a brilliant result.

Goodluck with the future and hopefully you will soon have your BFP

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear and Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Littlefeet,

Just thought I would share my, somewhat cynical , view of 2day transfers. Having just found out my 2nd FET failed today as AF arrived. Are u at Melb IVF? They tend only to do 2day transfers initially. I did my first stim cycle and subsequent FETs at Melb and now I’m switching to Monash, as they offer 5day ETs (and for other reasons). I’m sure and I know that 2day ETs work for some couples but because we have MFI I think it is better to try and grow past 3 days as I have read that if the sperm used for fertilisation are dodgy the embryos have no chance to grow past 3 days so surely you should grow MFI embies past 3days otherwise there will be a high failure rate after ET?!. We started with 23 eggs, 19 fert, 12 made it to the start of day 2 and only 5 made it to the freezer. 3 embies subsequently didn’t survive thaw. Hmmmm cynical me thinks ‘sh*tty quality embies’ lets just transfer before they die and we can make some cash out of this couple. Plus my DH’s MFI was not diagnosed correctly so this whole cycle was doomed to fail before we started. Get second opinions!!

If you are feeling rushed by your FS I would consider finding a new FS that makes you feel more comfortable and less rushed. The amount of money we are all forking out for this IVF business we should get a good service as a ‘customer’ not just as a ‘patient’. I think some FS just see dollar signs not people with a medical issue desperate to be parents!

My new FS at Monash suggested that MelbIVF prefer to offer 2day ET because they don’t have a good reliable protocol to grow embies to 5day. Sorry to be so cynical and negative I’m just annoyed by my situation.

Good luck with your tcc journey! Oh, also I had to wait a full cycle after my stim cycle before I could start my FET cycle, but I was allowed to do back to back FETs because I did natural cycle FET (no drugs) just monitoring for ovulation then ET 2days later. I can say that natural FET cycles are a lot nicer than stim cycles in terms of how your body feels, but mentally it is still tough to get thru the tww!!

for you and

14. The Following User Says Thank You to akakura For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hi

I've had 3 pregnancies all from day 2 transfers. Having said that I've also had a lot of BFNs from day 2 transfers as well. But I had a lot of BFNs from day 3 transfers too. We never grew to day 5. I was at MIVF and CFC in Melbourne and both clinics preferred day 2 transfers. I also felt it was better to have them back in their natural environment. But akakura's post is very interesting. I agree if you're not completely happy ask a lot of questions and if you're still not getting the answers or attention you need get a 2nd opinion. I did and that's why I have 3 kids (if I'd stayed with my original FS I suspect I'd only have had 1).

Good luck

Sonja

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again ladies for your replies.

From reading your replies what has stood out for me is how much my FS doesn't really explain anything. I know that for her this is an everyday thing but this was my first cycle, I was highly anxious and I didn't really know how it all worked. Whenever I asked her anything she would give me short answers but I just felt like I was annoying her by asking. I know it shouldn't be like that and that I need to have an FS I can trust so I am going to look into what I can do about this. I will be seeing her on Thursday and if I get the same kind of attitude and response then I will have to move on I think.

It's encouraging that so many of you got your BFP's with a 2 day transfer. Thanks again for your replies.