+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    We're going to now fixate on the fact it's in a section you think it shouldn't be in?

The point was to question why people enter the discussion, and ask that if it's to ask questions that it's done in a respectful way. Much like any other section. Anyone can join in, but show respect to the people for whom that section was.made.
    Well if you are making such a huge point about sections so as to start a thread about it, then at least put it in the right section?! The whole point of this thread doesn't make any sense because of that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Sure I get where you're coming from. The issue is that on a topic like this you have to expect sometimes it will end in debate. Some members hate the 'please don't post unless it's supportive' type requests saying it's controlling, but I would much rather a religious person say this isn't a debate, but a conversation amongst likeminded women then I would keep out, out of respect.

Yes the disclaimer may be annoying, but it saves you (a general you) from feeling the way you do and others from wasting their time when their opinions clearly aren't wanted. No it's not your fault that in the past no disclaimer has been made and thread have ended closed, everyone should act like a grown up. But maybe it's a something to think about......
    I agree, but in the case of your thread in the general chat section, specifically asking religious people for their opinion on something, do you think the way it turned out was appropriate? Do you think that was a respectful discussion about God and faith and all those things? It was such a great discussion, with people explaining why they didn't think there could be a God based on x,y,z, others saying 'if there is a God I don't like him because he allows bad things to happen' etc. No-one got upset or offended at those questions/statements. Then people started outrightly criticising anyone's belief in God , personally criticising those people. What disclaimer could you have put that still allowed discussion, but stopped bigotry such as that?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You have asked for the opinions of Non-religious people in this thread, and yet many different religious posters have joined in the conversation. I don't mean to be rude, but isn't that just contradicting the entire point of your thread?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Awesome For This Useful Post:

naebie  (03-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Well if you are making such a huge point about sections so as to start a thread about it, then at least put it in the right section?! The whole point of this thread doesn't make any sense because of that.
    You don't get the point that people need to be respectful in specific areas

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (03-03-2012),Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    It is fine to question religion, and I agree if it is affecting your life you have every right to want to discuss it. But just as another mother bottle feeding her child does not impact on you, another person believing in God also does not affect you.
    ..no but their relgion does. Daily.

I haven't said anything personal in the threads I enter.

I do put Christianity in the same box as the Dung beetle rolling the Sun across the sky though.
    That may sound offensive - but basically it just me saying I'm an Athiest.

And if YOU agree a God in the form of a dung beetle DIDN'T roll the sun across the sky - then YOU could be described as an Athiest too.

(You - general you )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Awesome View Post
    You have asked for the opinions of Non-religious people in this thread, and yet many different religious posters have joined in the conversation. I don't mean to be rude, but isn't that just contradicting the entire point of your thread?
    Oh sorry, judging by past threads I didn't realise you had to actually read that bit (ie the thread asking for RELIGIOUS people's ideas about something that ended in atheists telling 'religious people' they were ignorant).

I don't wear the 'religious' tag anyway so I guess I'm still ok to post, phew

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    In regards to your first comment, this thread is not about respecting and disrespecting religion. If you want to discuss that, start a new thread. It's about why non-religious people enter the religious section. The answer from some has been to discuss. Now you know the answer, why are you challenging it? That's disrespectful.

In regards to the 'point'? The point is curiosity, for me, although I'm sure others have different points as to why.

I'm not naive enough to believe that I can change people's minds about religion. I won't say why, in case you think it's rude.
    I think you need to re-read the OP. This thread IS about respecting people and their beliefs.
    I don't accept your answer because you didn't "discuss" you mocked. You didn't come across as curious, being curious is wanting to learn, you had no intention of learning.

And no you shouldn't say why if you know its offensive.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    So because its in the chat section then its ok to mock people?

The problem with going into religious sections and trying to debate is, religion isn't a debatable topic to people who are religious???
    We discuss, exchange ideas, learn and grow. There are peopel that know alot and its good to talk to those people and get their understanding of something.
    To debate whether God exists
    What's the point? Do you think someone who believes in God is going to agree with you and say "oh yeah, you're right, God doesn't exist, the bible is total bull****, thanks so much for enlightening me and great debate btw" you know? When it comes to religion you need to pick your audience.

Are you saying christians can't become Athiests??

You've just ignored a couple of posters in this thread then.

..because it HAPPENS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Sure I get where you're coming from. The issue is that on a topic like this you have to expect sometimes it will end in debate. Some members hate the 'please don't post unless it's supportive' type requests saying it's controlling, but I would much rather a religious person say this isn't a debate, but a conversation amongst likeminded women then I would keep out, out of respect.

Yes the disclaimer may be annoying, but it saves you (a general you) from feeling the way you do and others from wasting their time when their opinions clearly aren't wanted. No it's not your fault that in the past no disclaimer has been made and thread have ended closed, everyone should act like a grown up. But maybe it's a something to think about......
    EXACTLY..

The thread that we are talking about - well the spin off thread opened with what could have been taken as an inflamitory OP.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I think you need to re-read the OP. This thread IS about respecting people and their beliefs.
    I don't accept your answer because you didn't "discuss" you mocked. You didn't come across as curious, being curious is wanting to learn, you had no intention of learning.

And no you shouldn't say why if you know its offensive.
    Thank you for saying why I replied and whether or not I wanted to learn. Obviously there is no reason I should reply to this thread if you already know all of the answers!