+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    And there is a big difference between what one person finds insulting compared to the next.

Once again - any questioning of religion is apparently 'insulting', no matter how it is worded.

Maybe a disclaimer would be appropriate - something along the lines of "Do not reply unless you believe 100% in God and Jesus"...or something along those lines. Because clearly no-one else is welcome.
    I disagree. I don't think anyone in the recent threads has objected to questioning or debate about elements of faith.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm atheist and why do I enter religious threads? bc I have a background in christian belief as a child and I'm interested in the historical aspect. I believe Jesus lived and died, I actually find him a facinating, wonderful person.... but I don't think he was the son of god. I'm interested in the historical basis to the flood, the scientific basis to creation/evolution.

My intent is certainly not to mock religious people, in fact I go to great pains to make sure I don't do the above, just state my opinion as I see it.I do genuinely understand your frustrations in a way. You feel like people are criticising beliefs that are very important to you. But see it for what it is - an intellectual debate by 2 opposing sides, women that are often lacking in mental stimulation lol that are enjoying the debate to exercise their brains rather than hate on christians. At least that's how I see it

and I want to add this - as I planned to but my 'why do bad things happen to good people' thread was closed - I DO NOT think religious people are stupid or primitive. I admit I struggle to see how they can hold the beliefs they do given all the scientific evidence out there, but I understand (but don't share) the notion of faith.
    Last edited by delirium; 03-03-2012 at 15:54.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (03-03-2012),Deserama  (05-03-2012),NancyBlackett  (03-03-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    To clarify a little- saying someone who believes in God is 'less intelligent', 'primitive', that you can't possibly fathom how a 'seemingly intelligent' person could believe in creation- thats insulting.
    I thought we were talking about threads in the religious section? That one was not.

This thread is about non-religious people posting in the religious section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was you who said if people believed in santa clause they'd be medicated yet if people believe in God it's ok. In other words, if you believe in God its the same as believing in santa. I took it to mean I should be medicated.
    I also think it was you who referenced a study that said intelligent people don't believe in God. And how can any person with some intelligence believe in God.
    That's not really a discussion about the bible is it? Do you think making those sorts of stamtements is respectful?
    I think you of all people know what people are saying, yet you're trying to defend yourself. And every post seems to have a wink at the end. Giving people winks means your saying it with attitude and without being genuine.
    Once again, those comments were made in a thread which was in the chat section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I've dabbled with many religions. I was born Jewish, went to a COE school and now I generally believe in some kind of higher power but don't need a name for it, don't read any texts, just live by a 'do no harm' philosophy (that's Wiccan isn't it?)

Respect is paramount in a discussion about someone's belief.

I remember when I was 15 and giving Christianity a go, people questioning my beliefs at the time was so confronting. Not because I wasn't convinced of my beliefs (that came later), but because you're asking someone to bear their soul.

Religion and faith are core elements of who a person is...asking them to justify their religion or faith is like asking them to justify themselves and their existence.

There are ways it can be done, and some people are really fantastic at sharing their personal experiences with others, but others aren't so much.

I love having had exposure to so many different religions. I think I'd be a lot more boring and a lot less open if I hadn't grown up around religious Jews, gone to school with active Christians and immersed myself in different cultures and religions whilst travelling. And I feel so secure in my beliefs knowing I have tested the waters and devised a faith of sorts that I am truly comfortable with, and I don't think any of my religious friends or families have been collateral damage in my own journey so I think I've done it respectfully
    Amen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    why open this thread in the Religious section - invite 'non religious people' in and then tell them the are not wanted in here!?

Religion impacts my life.

A mother bottle feeding her baby does NOT impact my life.

That is why I feel no need to respect a certain religion.
    I will respect the person as a person with differing belief...and I will respect the fact that they will stubbornly defend that beleif - as I do my own.

...but I will never stop questioning and inquiring Religion.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

naebie  (03-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm atheist and why do I enter religious threads? bc I have a background in christian belief as a child and I'm interested in the historical aspect. I believe Jesus lived and died, I actually find him a facinating, wonderful person.... but I don't think he was the son of god. I'm interested in the historical basis to the flood, the scientific basis to creation/evolution.

My intent is certainly not to mock religious people, in fact I go to great pains to make sure I don't do the above, just state my opinion as I see it.I do genuinely understand your frustrations in a way. You feel like people are criticising beliefs that are very important to you. But see it for what it is - an intellectual debate by 2 opposing sides, women that are often lacking in mental stimulation lol that are enjoying the debate to exercise their brains rather than hate on christians. At least that's how I see it
    Not every thread is a debate thread. The people who feel they can't post are the ones who are really not able to debate it, so as a result they feel silenced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    why open this thread in the Religious section - invite 'non religious people' in and then tell them the are not wanted in here!?
    I was wondering this too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I thought we were talking about threads in the religious section? That one was not.

This thread is about non-religious people posting in the religious section.
    Once again, I am talking about many threads opened in this section over the time bh has been around, and terms like that have been used a lot. Not just in one thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post

Religion impacts my life.

A mother bottle feeding her baby does NOT impact my life.

That is why I feel no need to respect a certain religion.
    I will respect the person as a person with differing belief...and I will respect the fact that they will stubbornly defend that beleif - as I do my own.

...but I will never stop questioning and inquiring Religion.
    It is fine to question religion, and I agree if it is affecting your life you have every right to want to discuss it. But just as another mother bottle feeding her child does not impact on you, another person believing in God also does not affect you.

I don't think the OP has any issue at all with people not believing in the same God as her, or questioning the origins of any religion- its the rudeness and intolerance that is an issue.

I thought we were talking about threads in the religious section? That one was not
    Whatever, if it makes you feel better...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)