+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    See, I think it's very rude to go into threads about religion and say it's a fairy tale or laugh/scoff at people.

I do agree that people sometimes don't know everything about their religion, but then a lot of people believe in God without subscribing to a particular religion.

People who believe in a god are not wrong.
    The thread where it was stated that god is akin to Santa/fairy takes etc was in the chat part of the forum

The current discussion thread is in the religious section and people have been quite respectful and seem genuinely curious.

What I don't understand is this - there have been 'religious people' in these threads who don't agree with parts of the bible etc. So is the requirement that you have to be religious or just that you have to blindly agree with everything the church and bible believe? Because obviously certain religious people are not welcome either!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Um, I can't count the number of times people have been told to shove out of single parents sections because they aren't single and haven't been 'invited'.

And I completely get that when someone comes into the section and sprays anti single mother nonsense, but how is that different to going into the religious and spiritual threads and spraying anti religion views?
    The single parents started a private group, maybe you should do the same. You can discuss it all until your heart is content!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    Religious door knockers do not take no for an answer. Yes you are able to say no they can not come in, but that does not stop them knocking weekend after weekend, talking to your dog etc etc.

If people are upsetting you ignore them. Report their post if you feel it warrants it. You control your response to them, just as you are responsible for your response.
    You probably missed the thread I'm referring to. It was a disgusting display of bigotry towards anyone who had any belief in God.

So basically the idea is that BubHub should be a place where you can put people down as much as you want and the onus is on that person to press 'ignore'? I think people should just be respectful of others' beliefs in the first place. That doesn't mean they have to agree, just respect taht different people believe different things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

What I don't understand is this - there have been 'religious people' in these threads who don't agree with parts of the bible etc. So is the requirement that you have to be religious or just that you have to blindly agree with everything the church and bible believe? Because obviously certain religious people are not welcome either!
    You of all people know that it is not about people not agreeing/not believing. Its about the blatant disrespect for other people's beliefs. Implying they are less intelligent etc....That thread was fine with people saying "I don't believe in God" and bla bla bla, it was when personal attacks on people who DO blieve in God started that it went pear-shaped.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    The single parents started a private group, maybe you should do the same. You can discuss it all until your heart is content!
    Single parents/step parents felt there was a need for that due to exes.

All I want is for people to be respectful. Many threads in this section end up closed because people lack respect. Many people who have religious beliefs don't post out of fear of ridicule.

We should not need to hide away in a private group just to avoid rude, disrespectful people.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dawkins has some great stuff to say on 'respecting religions'...and how it can lead to extremism.

There is a difference though, respecting a 'person' of a certain religion and questioning the Origins of that religion can be done at the same time.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012),MsMummy  (03-03-2012),PomPoms  (03-03-2012),share a book  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    You of all people know that it is not about people not agreeing/not believing. Its about the blatant disrespect for other people's beliefs. Implying they are less intelligent etc....That thread was fine with people saying "I don't believe in God" and bla bla bla, it was when personal attacks on people who DO blieve in God started that it went pear-shaped.
    Religious people who have questioned parts of the bible have been attacked by religious members for being disrespectful. Any questioning of faith, God, Jesus, the bible, is 'disrespectful', no matter HOW it is worded.

So clearly it's not about being religious or non-religious. It's about not questioning *anything*. Those are the only people 'welcome' apparently

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Yes I realise that, but a bit of respect wouldn't go astray.

I just don't get why its NOT ok to voice your opinions about, say, formula feeding, but you can openly call a person who believes in God less intelligent, and it is ok? A partnered person can't say they 'feel like a single parent' when they are having bad day because single parents are offended, you can't say you believe everyone should give breastfeeding a go because formula feeders get upset, you can't state facts about the benefit of natural birth without people getting offended. But its ok to call someone stupid for believing in God.

I just think its rude.
    A little off topic but the examples you've given don't make sense to me.... Obviously people can and do say those things because they all happen quite regularly here on BH.

Yes people get offended at others comments - just the same as in religious threads. None of its deemed ok IMO... But it's all the same really. The only changing factor is the person being offended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like any controversial topic, there are going to be people with strong views who can't help themselves.

Personally, I think that a lot of terrible, evil things have been done because of religion and not discussing it because "they are my beliefs, don't question me" does not sit well with me at all.

That said, I agree that people should be respectful to each other. I guess religion is another one of those things like single parenting, bottle feeding, controlled crying etc that degenerates into rudeness sometimes.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (03-03-2012),starflame  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Single parents/step parents felt there was a need for that due to exes.

All I want is for people to be respectful. Many threads in this section end up closed because people lack respect. Many people who have religious beliefs don't post out of fear of ridicule.

We should not need to hide away in a private group just to avoid rude, disrespectful people.
    No, part of the reason it was created was to discuss single issues in private because other forum members were coming into the threads. I know this for a fact.

Pegasus has suggested starting a religious group in the other thread, it looks like you are looking for an argument by starting this thread.

OR if you don't want your beliefs challenged at all, then go on a Christian forum

The 'rude' & 'disrespectful' thread you are all referring to was in the open chat section, so why are we even discussing this 'issue'? Or can we not challenge it there either?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (03-03-2012)