+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Another example how evil people use religion for their own agendas.
    Yet people will blame religion, twist words and extract what they need to prove to themselves how they feel about religion.
    Just because he words of Christianity, he used them to manipulate his audience, not because he was a 'religious man'
    I can't believe people don't see that.
    Nope, I see the truth. A sick man that hid behind religion to further his cause.

I do think it's important though, to remember a lot of bad has been done in the name of religion. That doesn't make the followers to blame, or even some of the beliefs - believe it or not as an atheist I live by many of the things Jesus said. I know you're right? lol I I identify with the message not the institution nor the claim he was divine.... but I digress lol

My point is it's often not the core beliefs that are the issue (minus homosexuality ) it's the interpretation and how people choose to hide behind that.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    excuse me.

did I ask you to leave it blank?

no - I asked if you were aware of the snow ball effect that one little tick can have.

I carefully and slowly asked people if they think religion should be taken out of politics - I thought that most agreed?

This is HOW you can take Religion OUT of politics.
    By ignoring the religious box on the census form will fix the gay marriage act?

Do you know what else they use the census form for and why we may need religious statistics?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I got the impression FITB was suggesting she'd be happy if RELIGIOUS EDUCATION IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS was eradicated, not religion itself.

Anyway, I, personally, have no issues with people filling in that they are whatever religion if they do practice that particular religion. The only thing I hate though, is a lot of people go, "Oh... well, I was baptised as XYZ when I was a baby, so I'll choose that." Despite never having been to church since. Despite not living a lifestyle that goes alongside that religion. Despite knowing jack about whatever religion they've just said they're subscribed to.

I filled in our census form, and I TOLD DP I was filling him in as "No Religion," because although he was Christened as a baby, he is in no way religious and to fill it in otherwise would be misleading.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You know, going by all the tales I hear about Jesus and how he was a bit of a hippy type dude... I think he'd vote Greens if he was voting today and was choosing one of the larger parties.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (05-03-2012),Annabella  (05-03-2012),delirium  (05-03-2012),FiveInTheBed  (05-03-2012),Laksa  (05-03-2012),Mammytobe  (05-03-2012),SarahTamar  (05-03-2012),share a book  (05-03-2012),smallpotatoes  (05-03-2012),trishalishous  (06-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Wow, I really don't think that will happen. The Libs need to let it through, Christians aren't stopping it. This is getting bad.

Marriage is between a MAN and a WOMAN.

where does this come from?

(bout the third time i've asked this by the way)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    You know, going by all the tales I hear about Jesus and how he was a bit of a hippy type dude... I think he'd vote Greens if he was voting today and was choosing one of the larger parties.
    Yes, I can relate to him on every level. He was very accepting, challenged the unfairness of the time, and did so at great personal cost. Halloweendee: I read over that whole thread (17 pages, lol) and did not disagree with you. It might be worth re-reading it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I don't believe that is why gay people still don't have the right to marry.

FITB, I know you are very passionate about this but I think it is a bit unfair for you to imply it is because we ticked that box that gay people can't get married. I won't apologise for my faith, I really feel I have been very open and honest and now I feel like you are just starting this whole blame game all over again.

I am saying this in a soul-baring way, I am telling you it is hurtful the way you are criticising my and other's decision to choose a religion on a census form. I am not looking for an argument/debate, I'm just telling you so you can be aware that your words can be quite hurtful.

Please show me where I asked you to abandon your 'faith'?

I don't believe I am being hurtful

I do believe you are missing my point.

It hurts me that my kids have to be segregated from their friends, their peers for half an hour once a week for a Religious Indoctrination session to be held.

Can you see my hurt.

I'm asking you to keep your faith.

I'm requesting 'religon' (which I think everyone agreed - all 'christians' aren't 'christians' - it is too broad) ...be kept out of my PUBLIC SECULAR school and my close friends marital status.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Yes, I can relate to him on every level. He was very accepting, challenged the unfairness of the time, and did so at great personal cost. Halloweendee: I read over that whole thread (17 pages, lol) and did not disagree with you. It might be worth re-reading it.

I think Halloweendee means the other thread, the one that has been deleted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Marriage is between a MAN and a WOMAN.

where does this come from?

(bout the third time i've asked this by the way)
    Sorry, I don't have a computer and this is moving very fast. Hard to keep up.

I've never heard that line at any wedding, but have already said how our Priest feels about it. Also, the Priest who baptised dd is ex-army, and a single dad. He became Catholic later in life.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Aye curumba.

I'm the one who brought up gay marriage as an example of how religion can affect people. Kinda sorry I did now.

How about a different example that doesn't directly affect Australians? The aids epidemic and the catholic church's stance on condoms.