+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    ..that's a shame.

It's not just a 'silly census form' it is a very important informaton gathering tool.

Those laws won't change when the statistics are false

..and (IMO) this is where 'individual' beliefs cross the line and affect the WHOLE of the country.
    But I am Christian, so I am not contributing to false statistics!

I don't actually think new laws are really based on the bible/religion, rather on respect for others, people's right to safety etc. I know a lot of the original laws of our country are, but I firmly believe the reason they don't change is not because x% of people identify as Christian. Its because politicians will only change things that people push for, so they can get votes.

I won't deny my faith for political reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The thing is, Hitler was used as an example of an evil atheist - but he was not. If you're going to make claims, you should at least be sure they are truthful.

Nobody has suggested that Hitler was a "good" Christian or that he is a prime example of what Christians are like... I'm unsure why people are getting their knickers twisted over this, when there is no evidence that anyone has hinted at it. At all.

If Hitler commited his crimes because he interpreted the Bible he had access to in that way, that doesn't mean that all Christians are evil or that religion condones and encourages that kind of mass murder. People do stuff in the name of religion all the time - usually really stupid, horrible stuff. Christianity is not exempt from its crazies doing stuff in its name.

In regards to religion in politics - it needs to remain seperate. That doesn't mean that those who practice a religion cannot enter politics, it just means that our laws should not be made based on Christianity and its associated ideals. The thing with a religion-free government would be that it allowed for choice for all... not forcing those of us who do not follow a religion (or follow something other than some branch of Christianity) to live life based around religious ideals and beliefs. You could still live a Christian lifestyle without religion having a place in politics, it just allows more freedom for the rest of us as well.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (05-03-2012),Guest654  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to be way off topic, but for those who are interested, there is an invite-only private group for Religion Chat... not for people of any particular religion, but for people of ALL beliefs (chrstian, jewish, catholic, buddhist, athiest, and anything else!) who enjoy discussing religion and would like to do so in a non-judgemental environment. It is for respectful discussions only - no ridiculing, mocking or belittling allowed - just an acceptance of 'this is what I believe - But I am interested in hearing what you believe'. If you're interested, PM me for an invite

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    My OCD does not like leaving blanks, even when I cannot fill it in. I sat here wishing I had 6 people in the house so I could fill it all in. I still won't apologise for answering truthfully.

Even when that one little tick could quite possibly be affecting the right for Gay people to Marry?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree

Guest Guest
    The religious section on the Australian Census is actually "OPTIONAL"

You don't have to lie - you don't have to fill it out...but please just be aware that IF you do...your 'tick' with be used collectively to form statistics that shape our country.
    You're actually telling people what it is and how to fill it out?
    I don't think it's up to you, people who live in this country do shape it, whatever religion that may be, thats the beauty of it.
    Otherwise if we had no diversity, it'd be like?? What's a country with no diversity or freedom to practice religion however they like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont think she is telling you how to fill it out SAB.

I think she is just making sure that people understand that they don't have to fill it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Religion.

--

Faith.

...Two very DIFFERENT things!?

PLEASE tell me we can ALL agree on something!?
    Yes but so so inexplicably linked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    But I am Christian, so I am not contributing to false statistics!

I don't actually think new laws are really based on the bible/religion, rather on respect for others, people's right to safety etc. I know a lot of the original laws of our country are, but I firmly believe the reason they don't change is not because x% of people identify as Christian. Its because politicians will only change things that people push for, so they can get votes.

I won't deny my faith for political reasons.
    X% of people indentifying as X religion most definitely affects things.

Relgious Indoctrination in public schools being part of the Education Act would would definitely crumble if the majority didn't identify as Christian!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even when that one little tick could quite possibly be affecting the right for Gay people to Marry?
    Wow, I really don't think that will happen. The Libs need to let it through, Christians aren't stopping it. This is getting bad.