+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Nancy, is Gillard not fighting for gay marriage out of 'respect' for the line about marriage being between a man and a woman do you think?
    Where does that line come from?

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub
    What do you mean? Sorry - I'm a little tired and fuzzy tonight. Are you asking if her position comes from respect of the traditional (and statutory) position of marriage being between a man and a woman?

If you are - and apologies if I am reading your question wrong - id said her position is simply political. She knows that for better or worse voters are still very suspicious of same sex marriage.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    No one is blaming the whole religion. It was actually a religious person insinuating that religious people don't commit crimes which started this entire discussion!

I wholeheartedly agree with your last sentence.
    No I believe the statement was (sorry in my own words because I don't remember) if those people followed the footsteps of Jesus and did as God said, they wouldn't have commited crimes. A pedophile, just because is a priest, is not a man of God. They are not true followers of Jesus, Jesus would never accept a pedophiles crimes. They are just evil evil evil who use religion to hide behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Oh sorry, just that you think anyone with a faith not based on science is of low intelligence, primitive, stopping their kids reaching their full potential etc.... Perhaps hatred is the wrong word. Maybe lack of acceptance of others' beliefs is better?
    And sorry to point this out WitWicky. But this will never be forgotten. This is how deep it has cut, it cuts deep because people need to understand how deep religion runs through people. Its their very existance.
    I point this out just to show you how much it hurts when people attack someones beliefs, their whole reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't think she against it persay, she's too gutless (as are all the pollies) to take a stand and end the discrimination. There's a difference

As to the stuff about attributing bad things to religion and priests in particular, I think this more came as a response to the comment that religious people aren't pedophiles or murders and that in so many words, non believers are. I don't for a moment blame ladies in here that identify as catholic/christian and blame them (nor do I think anyone does). We are discussing the 'institution' of the religion not it's followers. That's why of all the christian religions I have the most issue with catholic which I was raised in - doesn't support female priests and hides pedophiles from punishment This is the church NOT the followers
    I agree re her being too gutless.

But if you really believe in something shouldnt you fight for it?

I get that politicians have to be acutely aware of the mood of the electorate, but surely on something like this if you believe in it you should shout it from the rooftops?

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those who believe it's "politics" stopping gay marriage - do you think Religion should be taken OUT of politics?

As in - not have our country refer to religion or the bible to help make laws?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lily - I believe Hitler was a Roman Catholic.

(off to read the rest of your post - that just stood out)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those who believe it's "politics" stopping gay marriage - do you think Religion should be taken OUT of politics?

I think that if people are going to vote for someone who uses religion to suppress the rights of others, they reap what they sew. Sorry, but it's not like he's not been open about it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

delirium  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think if someone believes in something they shouldn't be prevented from taking it into account when making their decision.

They're elected by constituents - if constituents dont like the way represent the electorate they can change their vote.

If you start restricting factors parliamentarians can take into account you run the risk of them not openly disclosing their influences and it becomes hard for constituents to know what they're voting for.

Guest Guest

Religion should be taken out of politics as much as politics should be taken out of religion.

Lily - I believe Hitler was a Roman Catholic.

(off to read the rest of your post - that just stood out)
    Hitlers religion is unclear, this is still debated. Some say atheist, others say christian although he killed many christians, my grandfather was almost taken to a concentration camp but got away, many men from their village were killed for being greek orthodox.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Perhaps it could be seen that way, but my personal opinion is that he hides behind religion to make himself feel better about being a pig. I don't believe it's just gay rights he would like to suppress, but also women's rights and the rights of immigrants and Indigenous Australians. It's really very un-Christian of him. Jesus would never have done that. Of course, immigrants who are white males from an English speaking country are ok, just not anyone else.
    I agree totally. I think he's a horrible advocate for the christian faith. I know some lovely kind religious people who love everyone (well maybe not every single person but ykwim lol) and he is sullying their beliefs. He hates women and believes their role is chained to the kitchen sink. He's a homophobe and a snivelling little weasle who brings church into state matters i.e abortion and RU40.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    No I believe the statement was (sorry in my own words because I don't remember) if those people followed the footsteps of Jesus and did as God said, they wouldn't have commited crimes. A pedophile, just because is a priest, is not a man of God. They are not true followers of Jesus, Jesus would never accept a pedophiles crimes. They are just evil evil evil who use religion to hide behind.
    yes I agree ...

Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I agree re her being too gutless.

But if you really believe in something shouldnt you fight for it?

I get that politicians have to be acutely aware of the mood of the electorate, but surely on something like this if you believe in it you should shout it from the rooftops?
    Yes and it annoys me a great deal. Grow the balls to stand up and make a decision that a vast majority of the population wants. But Abbott is worse. She is being 'safe', he's a bigot and hates gays.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

share a book  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where does the line 'between a man and a woman' come from?

When I say 'take religion out of politics' - I'm not refering to personal individual beliefs - I'm talking about the law being built on Christian Principals.