+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    People who common these acts may be religious and they may be churchgoers but they are not being Christlike.

Yes, I agree.

I can sit in a garage and call myself a car, but it doesn't make me one if I don't do the things a car would do.

I can call myself religious and go to church, but it doesn't make me a Christian if I don't do what Jesus would do.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

sunnyflower  (05-03-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    YES! Thank you.....someone who actually can see what's going on! (wish I could 'thank' your post more than once!)

I have yet to come across a church-going Christian who is anti-gay rights as well and yet it always seems we're used as a scapegoat for why we still don't have gay marriage rah rah rah.....I am sick and tired of it!

Last year someone asked around work just out of curiosity to see who would support gay marriage- none of the Christians cared as it didn't bother us. There was a good amount of people who didn't support gay marriage but none of them were Christian or went to church or anything.

I suspect blaming it on religion is a nice convenient solution to explain our lack of gay rights though.....why come up with a real reason when there's a whole group out there you can blame and know people will agree with you?
    I think you will find the 'blame' is more than appropriate. There are several church leaders for various branches who openly disagree with same sex unions. One of the links a religious hubber provided in another thread yesterday regarding evolution had a massive section explaining that unions are to be between a man and a woman only.

The leader of the Catholic Church, Pope Benedict, is firmly opposed. I think anyone who can't see that religion is a huge issue in regards to same sex unions is living under a rock.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    A lot of teachers and sports coaches abuse kids, yet we don't label them all like people do with Priests and Christian Brothers.
    No but statistically you are more likely to sexually abuse a child if you are priest than any other 'profession'. Did you know that?

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We can all be an anecdotal as well like, I'm sure all of us can come up with people we know who are jerks that are religious and not religious. But that doesn't change the fact that the main religious bodies are opposed to things like gay marriage which affects many people despite over 70% of our population, both religious and non religious, not being opposed to it.

So, religion does affect many people.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (05-03-2012),naebie  (05-03-2012),SassyMummy  (05-03-2012),Shoopuf  (06-03-2012),smallpotatoes  (05-03-2012),Witwicky  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    No but statistically you are more likely to sexually abuse a child if you are priest than any other 'profession'. Did you know that?
    No! Says who?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you know that people who want to abuse kids are more likely to find a profession that gives them better access to kids?

You don't like religion, we get that, but it is very wrong to tarnish everyone with the same brush.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd really like to meet some of these people!

I know sooooo many Christians and certainly would not describe the most passionate of them as any of these things.

I can think of a lot of people who would fit this criteria but all of them are atheist or non religious.

Maybe I just keep good company
    Maybe apart from that, they are good people, you know that old saying never talk about religion, but some comments that come out of their mouths is very unchristian-like and has me raising my eyebrows.

My father is a bit staunch about religion sometimes, I hardly think I'm going to wipe him out of my life or avoid his company because he doesn't think that my nephew (his grandson) and other homosexuals should not be allowed to get married.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd really like to meet some of these people!

I know sooooo many Christians and certainly would not describe the most passionate of them as any of these things.

I can think of a lot of people who would fit this criteria but all of them are atheist or non religious.

Maybe I just keep good company
    WOW. That's not disrespectful toward atheists and non religious people at all. Everyone is different, there will always be good and bad people no matter what their beliefs!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also wanted to add that I got married in January, and it is law in Australia to state that "marriage in this country is between a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others" and I was mortified when I was told it had to be said, considering some of our guests are homosexual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you will find the 'blame' is more than appropriate. There are several church leaders for various branches who openly disagree with same sex unions. One of the links a religious hubber provided in another thread yesterday regarding evolution had a massive section explaining that unions are to be between a man and a woman only.

The leader of the Catholic Church, Pope Benedict, is firmly opposed. I think anyone who can't see that religion is a huge issue in regards to same sex unions is living under a rock.
    Sure, church leaders of some denominations may disagree. But since when have governments cared about offending a few church leaders? The Labor government certainly doesn't care about offending Christians in other areas, which I'll hesitate to mention as it would cause another debate altogether, but funnily enough......they're more than happy to say that the reason that there is a lack of gay rights in Australia is because of the religious population!

Governments do what they think will make them get re elected, not what church leaders want!