+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Whoa, hang about. The people mentioned are not exclusively non religious and being religious does not stop someone from being a bad person.

Pretty sure it is the position of most main****** churches is a solid no. And I wasn't just talking about the West. You can be killed for being gay in some countries by law of that country's religion. That is the kind of thing I am talking about.
    That's right. I agree with you . Being religious does not stop you from being a bad person, nor does being a christian stop you from doing bad things. Everybody on this earth has sinned....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Whoa, hang about. The people mentioned are not exclusively non religious and being religious does not stop someone from being a bad person.

I agree. Some of the most religious people I know are the ones who are intolerant, homophobic, bigoted etc.

You don't need to believe in god or read the bible every day to be a good person.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

delirium  (05-03-2012),Witwicky  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Funny how people bring up religion with gay marriage when I have yet to come across a church goer who is anti-gay rights. The homophobes are also the ones who bag out religion in any form. My mormon friends want their ds1 to marry his partner, just like their dd1, dd2 and ds2 married their partners. Their ds2 has divorced his wife and decided to live defacto with his current gf, but he made that choice after having all the options available to him unlike his brother.

Another friend of mine has said he won't marry his partner but again, that will be their choice once gay marriage is allowed. The 2 of them are Christians who attend church most weeks.
    YES! Thank you.....someone who actually can see what's going on! (wish I could 'thank' your post more than once!)

I have yet to come across a church-going Christian who is anti-gay rights as well and yet it always seems we're used as a scapegoat for why we still don't have gay marriage rah rah rah.....I am sick and tired of it!

Last year someone asked around work just out of curiosity to see who would support gay marriage- none of the Christians cared as it didn't bother us. There was a good amount of people who didn't support gay marriage but none of them were Christian or went to church or anything.

I suspect blaming it on religion is a nice convenient solution to explain our lack of gay rights though.....why come up with a real reason when there's a whole group out there you can blame and know people will agree with you?

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Pretty sure it is the position of most main****** churches is a solid no. And I wasn't just talking about the West. You can be killed for being gay in some countries by law of that country's religion. That is the kind of thing I am talking about.
    There are 8 churches in the region and my mothers are not welcome in any of them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by naebie View Post
    An old (now ex) friend from high school is a very religious person, he is anti gay marriage, against single mothers and anti same sex adoption. He doesnt believe in divorce, even if abuse is a factor
    He used bible scriptures as argument against these groups of people, and told me that my daughter was going to end up a criminal because DP and I aren't married.

His ideas are antiquated, but are formed primarily on his religious views.
    any chance you could get him a bubhub account and get him online? He'd be a fun one to debate with (as these scriptures don't exist)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    People who common these acts may be religious and they may be churchgoers but they are not being Christlike.
    There have been more than 5000 recorded cases of church abuse in the U.S. alone...that's a lot of un-Christlike members of the church. And these are religious leaders, teaching others

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (05-03-2012),Gandalf  (05-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I agree. Some of the most religious people I know are the ones who are intolerant, homophobic, bigoted etc.

You don't need to believe in god or read the bible every day to be a good person.
    I'd really like to meet some of these people!

I know sooooo many Christians and certainly would not describe the most passionate of them as any of these things.

I can think of a lot of people who would fit this criteria but all of them are atheist or non religious.

Maybe I just keep good company

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    There have been more than 5000 recorded cases of church abuse in the U.S. alone...that's a lot of un-Christlike members of the church. And these are religious leaders, teaching others
    That's a really disturbing statistic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of teachers and sports coaches abuse kids, yet we don't label them all like people do with Priests and Christian Brothers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

TheMadHatter  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    I'd really like to meet some of these people!

I know sooooo many Christians and certainly would not describe the most passionate of them as any of these things.

I can think of a lot of people who would fit this criteria but all of them are atheist or non religious.

Maybe I just keep good company
    No I know Christian people like this too but I also know some wonderful, loving, completely n on judgemental ones

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (05-03-2012)