+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Funny how people bring up religion with gay marriage when I have yet to come across a church goer who is anti-gay rights. The homophobes are also the ones who bag out religion in any form. My mormon friends want their ds1 to marry his partner, just like their dd1, dd2 and ds2 married their partners. Their ds2 has divorced his wife and decided to live defacto with his current gf, but he made that choice after having all the options available to him unlike his brother.

Another friend of mine has said he won't marry his partner but again, that will be their choice once gay marriage is allowed. The 2 of them are Christians who attend church most weeks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

TheMadHatter  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    The beliefs of non religious people also effect the world. All the murderers, rapists, paedophiles etc etc effect the world very negatively because they are not treating others as Jesus would have.
    ...please elaborate!!!!?

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The beliefs of non religious people also effect the world. All the murderers, rapists, paedophiles etc etc effect the world very negatively because they are not treating others as Jesus would have.
    Are you aware of the extremely high incidence of child sex abuse in the church??

Some of the most famous murderers in history were deeply religious. I have personally come across several murderers, rapists and paedophiles who were and are religious.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (06-03-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    Most interesting, however it doesn't sound like his views on creationism/ evolution affected
    a) his choice of animal or
    b) the outcome of the case

I have an interview with him some university did (will grab the link if anyone's interested, it's on my phone somewhere) where he said he had ruled out using a primate such as chimpanzees, orangutangs or gorillas because they were endangered.

Fair enough. For him to be able to pick an animal that would give the best match he needed to find something that was readily available to give him a large enough donor pool that he could give the infant the best shot- and baboons were readily available.

Sure. We could get into the ethics of whether or not he should have done a cross - species transplant. I don't think that's got anything to do with evolution....

Hypoplastic left heart syndrome, even today, is fatal without a series of major surgeries or heart transplant. He got permission to do this surgery in the first place because this infant had been discharged home to die- so I think it's a pretty fair statement to say the infant would have died whether or not the operation had gone ahead. And if I had been her parents I might very well have said yes to a new procedure that would have given her a shot at life as well however small...regardless of the ethics.

I'm personally grateful for people like this who did the groundwork to turn heart transplantation into what it is today!
    I actually think his views did affect his decisions Oh and I'm well aware of the seriousness of hypoplastic left heart syndrome, thanks. I am not going to repeat what I have mentioned in the last few posts because I feel as though the point is lost and I'm going around in circles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    oh dear.

sadly those murderes and rapists would still be evil.

most terrorism And warfare is in the name of god.
    sadly a lot of priests have raped children..

so that argument is not going to work

sent from brain to Iphone to BubHub~ a game of chinese whispers.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Made in England  (05-03-2012),Shoopuf  (06-03-2012),trishalishous  (05-03-2012),Witwicky  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I actually think his views did affect his decisions Oh and I'm well aware of the seriousness of hypoplastic left heart syndrome, thanks. I am not going to repeat what I have mentioned in the last few posts because I feel as though the point is lost and I'm going around in circles.
    We'll agree to disagree then

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Funny how people bring up religion with gay marriage when I have yet to come across a church goer who is anti-gay rights. The homophobes are also the ones who bag out religion in any form. My mormon friends want their ds1 to marry his partner, just like their dd1, dd2 and ds2 married their partners. Their ds2 has divorced his wife and decided to live defacto with his current gf, but he made that choice after having all the options available to him unlike his brother.

Another friend of mine has said he won't marry his partner but again, that will be their choice once gay marriage is allowed. The 2 of them are Christians who attend church most weeks.
    An old (now ex) friend from high school is a very religious person, he is anti gay marriage, against single mothers and anti same sex adoption. He doesnt believe in divorce, even if abuse is a factor
    He used bible scriptures as argument against these groups of people, and told me that my daughter was going to end up a criminal because DP and I aren't married.

His ideas are antiquated, but are formed primarily on his religious views.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Are you aware of the extremely high incidence of child sex abuse in the church??

Some of the most famous murderers in history were deeply religious. I have personally come across several murderers, rapists and paedophiles who were and are religious.
    People who commit these acts may be religious and they may be churchgoers but they are not being Christlike.
    Last edited by sunnyflower; 05-03-2012 at 17:19.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

TheMadHatter  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    oh dear.

sadly those murderes and rapists would still be evil.

most terrorism And warfare is in the name of god.
    sadly a lot of priests have raped children..

so that argument is not going to work

sent from brain to Iphone to BubHub~ a game of chinese whispers.
    The people may do these acts in the name of God but if they had genuinely sought his guidance they would not have committed these acts.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Whoa, hang about. The people mentioned are not exclusively non religious and being religious does not stop someone from being a bad person.

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post

Pretty sure it is the position of most main****** churches is a solid no. And I wasn't just talking about the West. You can be killed for being gay in some countries by law of that country's religion. That is the kind of thing I am talking about.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (06-03-2012),Witwicky  (05-03-2012)