+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've never said atheists are wrong. I just think it's wrong of anyone to mock other people.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

MissPoss  (03-03-2012),NancyBlackett  (03-03-2012)

Guest Guest
    It's to validate their own feelings.
    Because they're bored and like to cause conflict for entertainment.
    They like to debate and disprove religion and the bible again for their own validity. Because trying to disprove a whole way of life to someone is impossible, so it's for their own purpose and agenda, it's not for any real interest in what that person believes.
    I can respect someone who respects me and my views, you can be respectful and understanding without agreeing. Some people can't do that.
    In that thread, not one person mocked an atheist or their beliefs not one. I can't say the same for the opposite.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Atlantic Puffin  (03-03-2012),Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know if I am 'religious', I believe in God and pray semi-regularly, I talk to my children about God, but I don't go to, or feel very comfortable at church. I don't have a very good understanding of the bible but I have a strong faith. I thank God for the good things in my life, and I lean on him when I need support. I am not baptised.

I think it is incredibly rude the way people criticise others' beliefs. I highly doubt anyone would have the audacity to enter a thread about Islam or other religions for the sole purpose of discrediting the posters in there, and to suggest they are less intelligent and primitive for believing what they do. And if they did, they would shot down by other members (including myself), and by the mods.

I have no issue with people asking questions to get a better understanding or whatever, but when it is done in the way it is being done in the last couple of threads- almost accusingly, and definitely to make the people discussing THEIR beliefs look stupid, its mean, nasty and rude. Not one Christian person has implied that anyone with beliefs different to theirs are wrong, or stupid, or will go to hell or whatever. It would be really nice if that respect went both ways.

So yeah I dunno why people do that, I guess its their little way of making themselves feel stronger and more powerful, kinda like bullying.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Atlantic Puffin  (03-03-2012),Deserama  (05-03-2012),MissPoss  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe they feel they can contribute to the conversation.

I guess I liken it to religious door knockers. I don't invite them to enter my property at 7am on a Saturday morning and knock on my door to preach to me, but they still choose to.

Is that any different to an atheist choosing to participate in a discussion on religion?

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Awesome For This Useful Post:

naebie  (03-03-2012),PomPoms  (03-03-2012),shelle65  (03-03-2012),starflame  (03-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (03-03-2012),~Marigold~  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Awesome View Post
    Maybe they feel they can contribute to the conversation.

I guess I liken it to religious door knockers. I don't invite them to enter my property at 7am on a Saturday morning and knock on my door to preach to me, but they still choose to.

Is that any different to an atheist choosing to participate in a discussion on religion?
    Contributing is fine. Its when they go into a thread of a religious nature (NOT a thread asking an opinion on an issue such as religion in schools) and tell the people in there that they are stupid for believing in a God, and that they are not allowing their children to reach their full potential (or something along those lines) if they talk to them about 'make-believe' things like God or Bible stories.

I would agree that if a door knocker went to your house and you CHOSE to open the door and let them in (on a forum you don't invite people into the conversation- they invite themselves), and they started criticising you for you beliefs (or lack of belief in their God), I would completely agree they are way out of line.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Atlantic Puffin  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I've never said atheists are wrong. I just think it's wrong of anyone to mock other people.
    No, you said people who believe in God are not wrong. I think Eko was just trying to clarify that neither are people who don't believe.

I don't know why people mock others beliefs which ever way it goes but please don't think that all people who aren't religious are like that. As in most things it is often only a small few.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I would agree that if a door knocker went to your house and you CHOSE to open the door and let them in (on a forum you don't invite people into the conversation- they invite themselves)
    Most forums are public. You do not need to be invited into a conversation to participate. By putting it on a public forum you need to assume that people who don't agree with you (be it religion, parenting etc), will be commenting.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tatia&shura For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (03-03-2012),FiveInTheBed  (03-03-2012),naebie  (03-03-2012),PomPoms  (03-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (03-03-2012),~Marigold~  (05-03-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't get me wrong! I am religious, just not christian .

I think people can be very sensitive about their beliefs because at the end of the day, they are a part of who we are. I am unfortunately quite often the butt of the 'fairytale' jokes simply because a lot of people have no idea what my faith is really about. *shrug* Problem belonging to them Hehe.

I guess when it comes down to it, it's easier for me to ignore people who think I'm silly. After all, I can take comfort that someone or something is looking out for me when times get tough. I might be wrong and that might not be true, but it's nice to be able to believe it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kristinandchloe View Post
    Most forums are public. You do not need to be invited into a conversation to participate. By putting it on a public forum you need to assume that people who don't agree with you (be it religion, parenting etc), will be commenting.
    I just think that if people go into specific areas of bub hub they need to show respect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are talking about the one on a roll at the moment.. I'd like to point out a title, 'translations of the bible' does not limit participants to ONLY christians.

You have to have applied critical thinking to MANY relgions to happily wear the title 'Athiest'.

Religion impacts everyone's lives. It is impacting MY life right now because my children are being discriminated against at school because they are not Catholic of a christian denomination.
    THAT is important to me. And I am told time and time again to 'just let them go - they'll make up their own minds in time' -- what I want to know is HOW do they make up their own minds...what goes through teh head of someone who has chosen this lifestyle to make them accept 'faith' over reason.

I enjoy hearing people's takes on the stories they are told and hearing the MANY ways it can be interpreted.

If you think it is rude for someone to enter a section of a FORUM...imagine how Athiests, Agnostics or Diests who are not Thiests feel everywhere they go!!?!