+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Look I have never seen 100% PROOF that we evolved from apes or whatever, is that what you are getting at, I'm a bit lost? I am open to it if you have it (and no- Dawkins is not 'proof'). I do believe we have evolved from the way we were originally made, of course we have, we all adapt to our environments, but I don't think humans and monkeys were ever the same thing, personally etc.

Anyway thats not really the point, the comments about intelligence were about believing in God. And the word wasn't 'ignorant' (which I agree can mean you haven't learnt it), it was 'less-intelligent' and 'primitive'.
    I agree. Its just condescending to say someone is primitive or ignorant or whatever because they have a different take on anything, including evolution. A lot of my family are creationists (I'm not) and they are not ignorant. Its the same as saying someone who doesn't believe in immunisation is less intelligent.. There is lots of information in favour of it, but their own particular research and the facts they choose to accept don't cause them to agree. I didn't see the thread in question but I have seen lots of them, which is why I think many people stay quiet about their own faith

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Look I have never seen 100% PROOF that we evolved from apes or whatever, is that what you are getting at, I'm a bit lost? I am open to it if you have it (and no- Dawkins is not 'proof'). I do believe we have evolved from the way we were originally made, of course we have, we all adapt to our environments, but I don't think humans and monkeys were ever the same thing, personally etc.

Anyway thats not really the point, the comments about intelligence were about believing in God. And the word wasn't 'ignorant' (which I agree can mean you haven't learnt it), it was 'less-intelligent' and 'primitive'.
    no Dawkins is not 'proof' - i have no idea how you took that from that quote - I was talking about Gravity.
    Do you 'believe' in Gravity??

nothing is 100% proof... it is part of the proof though

The proof for human evolution is in museums all over the world.

Humans and monkey never WERE they same thing! they evolved from a common ancestor.
    You and your cousin are not teh same thing - but you have common family.

I'm doing something at the moment so can find better links if you like..
    but this is a basic wiki link on human evolution - based on evidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution

I can - or anyone else can start a thread on creationism vs evolution if they like -- I would be happy to dscuss it ofcourse

Primitive - okay. The writings of the bible are by definition primitive. they are looked at in their original state, that were written hundreds of years ago.
    They are writings about something very complex from people without formal training.
    It depends how you want to look at it.

Some people would say teh writings are primitive, yes, but they believe the message is still strong and worthy in todays society.
    They, you could say - turn teh other cheek
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 04-03-2012 at 11:14.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    no Dawkins is not 'proof' - i have no idea how you took that from that quote - I was talking about Gravity.
    Do you 'believe' in Gravity??

The proof for human evolution is in museums all over the world.

Humans and monkey never WERE they same thing! they evolved from a common ancestor.
    You and your cousin are not teh same thing - but you have common family.

I'm doing something at the moment so can find better links if you like..
    but this is a basic wiki link on human evolution - based on evidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution

I can - or anyone else can start a thread on creationism vs evolution if they like -- I would be happy to dscuss it ofcourse

Primitive - okay. The writings of the bible are by definition primitive. they are looked at in their original state, that were written hundreds of years ago.
    They are writings about something very complex from people without formal training.
    It depends how you want to look at it.

Some people would say teh writings are primitive, yes, but they believe the message is still strong and worthy in todays society.
    They, you could say - turn teh other cheek
    Yeah I've read wikipedia, still not convinced. I do think when 'the' thread took place, the two main instigators of the nasty comments should have started their own thread about creation vs evolution but oh well...

I am not well versed on the bible or science, I do not go to church. I just have faith that God exists, thats all. I don't feel I need proof for or against, I am interested in other theories, but I largely feel comfortable with the way I live now. I am quite a 'thinker' but much more a feeler, and this feels right to me, so I stick with it.

The whole creation thing actually doesn't phase me, I don't know if creation is literal or not. But if I DID accept it as fact, thats ok, it doesn't affect you anyway.

And again, the posters said the people who believe in God and their thoughts are primitive- not the bible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anna bella - you know we share 98.something% of our DNA with Chimpanzees?

Can you see similarities between humans and other primates?

...alright - someone go start another thread please!?

BBL

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been trying my hardest not to mention the 'intelligence' thing.

lettng it slip by has been my way of respecting other people.

..but because it keeps getting brought up - this is my take on it.

Numerous times I have had converstaions and read conversations re evolution vs creationism.

After laying all the facts and evidence and daigrams and flow charts on the table...

'some' poeple come back with the response of, "So, if humans evolved from monkeys, why are monkeys still here!!?"

That to me is a reflection of education.

You don't have to 'beliveve' this happened - there is 'evidence' this happened, some people just have difficulty understanding 'how' it happened.

You don't have to 'believe' that gravity happens (and to quote Dawkins again) ..it does happen, you just have to understand HOW it happens. If you don't 'beleive' in gravity - walk out of a ten storey window and see what happens.

It could be ignorance.
    ..now - some people take the word 'ignorant' as 'name calling' ..it is not. it is simply that they are 'ignoring the facts' or 'the facts are unknown to them'.

I am completely ignorant when it comes to soccer, I sometimes have DP try to start to explain it to me. I'm still trying to get my head around it. But really I have no interest so I switch off.
    I have a very similar POV in regards to all of this.

I mentioned a study regarding intelligence and belief in God in the last thread and i didn't mean it how it sounded. I don't think people who believe in God are dumb. As for what I DO believe regarding people who don't believe we evolved from primates? I'm just going to keep it to myself, as I don't wish my for my opinion to be disrespected (it works both ways).

I'm happy to discuss it in another thread at a later point

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not against the idea of evolution, I just don't believe we evolved from apes, but have no real proof, just theories, and being on a phone with no computer access is somewhat of a disadvantage. Also having beliefs evolve over many years from many sources apart from the internet can be a disadvantage when people scream out for links.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I have a very similar POV in regards to all of this.

I mentioned a study regarding intelligence and belief in God in the last thread and i didn't mean it how it sounded. I don't think people who believe in God are dumb. As for what I DO believe regarding people who don't believe we evolved from primates? I'm just going to keep it to myself, as I don't wish my for my opinion to be disrespected (it works both ways).

has another thread been started?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    has another thread been started?
    I'm not sure, I haven't been on much today. (Cleaning *groan*).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure, I haven't been on much today. (Cleaning *groan*).
    same.

gonna claer up from lunch and get teh kids & DP set up with the Xbox and the come back and start one

**please note - I have been extremly busy with renovations, kids, work etc over past weekends - and have GIVEN myself this weekend to do nothing but show my Ar$e that sometimes it needs to be sat on..before I burn out.. -- so that is my 'excuse' for being on here so much! **

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (04-03-2012)

Guest Guest
    As for what I DO believe regarding people who don't believe we evolved from primates? I'm just going to keep it to myself, as I don't wish my for my opinion to be disrespected (it works both ways).

Can I ask honestly. People who don't believe we evolved from primates, why do you think anything of those people?
    Even if a new thread is started, if you give your pov on evolution I think it would stay civil and be an interesting thread.
    But if you write what you think of 'people who don't believe in evolution' don't you think it'll offend and cause conflict?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)