+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    to put this on a bigger scale...

in some countries women are being set on fire for doing something that goes against their families religious beliefs.

You may say that is an extremist and they don't represent all relgions.

no they don't, but if you were to tell people who are standing up and fighting for that woman's right to back off because you might upset the family...does that sound fair?

this kind of thinking filters through society on many levels, Cherilee I think gave teh example of gayrights. normal everyday people are hurting, being abused by other normal everyday people. And I'm sure majority of us can say they are , in some way , being affected by this.
    should people not question those religious beliefs out of 'respect'?

People's children are being discrminated in schools for not believing in the religion that dominates that community.
    Should parents sit by and not question religion in the school whilst their child sits as if being punished for half an hour because they are different out of respect?

Whilst I think calling people names is not productive at all.

I can't see how the feeling of having your religion laughed at would compare to the hurt people are feeling in ther lives daily because of the effect of that religion.

That is the other side of the coin. Can you respect that?

I think it has been made very clear in this thread you want a safe place to talk, support threads are to be treated in a supportive manner - that has been acknowledged and a virtual treaty agreed to I think.

If you are worried about people trolling in those sections, report or ignore.

If you want to participate in a thread that is debating and critiquing - participate. If you don't want to participate, don't.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

naebie  (04-03-2012),starflame  (04-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (04-03-2012),Witwicky  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    The bible one, but what does it matter anyway, pp was right, people will never be respectful and will downright attack others so why bother?

SAB - that thread has people of different religions translating things differently to other religious people. They don't agree. It has been respectful for the last few pages.
    There has been no name calling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    Religion has hurt people both in the past and now. Other people's faith has hurt people. Families ostracise family member's if they do not "toe the line" everyday. This SHOULD be talked about. Otherwise it will just continue on generation after generation.

Religion and the affects of religion should be debated. Religion unfortunately is a part of our government and our schools and many other parts of life. We should not just back down and say well that is their religion and faith and therefore excuse bad behaviour. This should be debated and talked about. People who have views not in line with the masses should not have to deal with the consequences of people's beliefs around them.

For example when people's faith and religious choices impact on others. Gay marriage is a great example of this.

Hold yourself steadfast in your faith, but don't expect other people to have to live in line with your beliefs. Respect yes, but not debate...well no.

MMm not real sure if that makes sense! But I have to go out so can't sit here and play around with my wording.
    Cheerilee I understand you were hurt by your family in the name of their religion. I'm sorry for that and completely understand that your view on all religion is tainted as a result. Just as many have died in the name of religion, it is actually PEOPLE doing this hurting and killing, not the religion itself.

I am all for open debate and discussion about religious issues, I think you will find most people are. The issue here is not that, its the blatant disrespect being shown to people who have a different view. Like I said, you may have missed the particularly nasty thread where people literally said that they cannot fathom how 'seemingly intelligent' people could believe in God, and likened it to believing in Santa and needing to be medicated. That is just nasty! No-one says everyone has to agree, but that goes beyond disagreeing and stating why, it becomes an attack on the other person!

I think most 'religious' people are fine to debate issues associated with religion- for example the thread about religion being taught in schools went fine. People are fine if people have different ideas and views on these issues, gay marriage, whatever. (In fact I think a lot of Christians are fine about gay marriage to be honest).

The thread about bible translation, I haven't read it all, but the OP was trying to DISCUSS different ways of translating the bible. I'm pretty sure she would have been happy for atheists or whoever to come in and talk about how they interpret different things, its when people start being condescending towards others' beliefs that it gets ugly. It is actually pretty easy to discuss things respectfully without it being a debate, and if it does become a bit of a debate, think about how a professional debate takes place- there is no eye rolling, personal remarks about a person's intelligence etc.

Sorry Cheerilee this is not all directed at you, I just went off on a tangent!

I agree with Eko that this thread is just boring now, but couldn't help comment coz I just think people are missing the point, its not about

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Guest Guest
    Do you want to start a thread on the faults of the churches? What they've done to people, how they've hurt people in the name of God? How people blow other people up? How children were abused in their care? I think they have alot to answer for and people who use religion to hurt other people have alot to answer for.
    These issues are completely different to someone's personal relationship with God and most people don't abandon faith because of what MAN has done or does.

Seperate issues, these weren't the issues being discussed however.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (04-03-2012),Deserama  (05-03-2012),MissPoss  (04-03-2012),share a book  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    to put this on a bigger scale...

in some countries women are being set on fire for doing something that goes against their families religious beliefs.

You may say that is an extremist and they don't represent all relgions.

no they don't, but if you were to tell people who are standing up and fighting for that woman's right to back off because you might upset the family...does that sound fair?

this kind of thinking filters through society on many levels, Cherilee I think gave teh example of gayrights. normal everyday people are hurting, being abused by other normal everyday people. And I'm sure majority of us can say they are , in some way , being affected by this.
    should people not question those religious beliefs out of 'respect'?
    Yes I am all for debate on these issues as they do affect others. I completely agree that these things (done by PEOPLE in the name of religion) are not acceptable. But the attacks were not on these issues. They were about people simply believing in God, which actually doesn't affect anyone else at all. The line "I'm disturbed that a grown adult would believe in God" was used- um, why would it disturb someone so much when my personal belief in a higher power doesn't affect them in any way? It was not even an attack on religion- as an institution, rather an attack on people's personal people's faith and belief.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012),share a book  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    SAB - that thread has people of different religions translating things differently to other religious people. They don't agree. It has been respectful for the last few pages.
    There has been no name calling.
    It doesn't take away the hurt caused in the first 10 or so pages, nor does it take away the fear that someone can open themselves up only to find the entire post quoted, replied to with the laughing emoticon and someone saying "are you for real?"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been trying my hardest not to mention the 'intelligence' thing.

lettng it slip by has been my way of respecting other people.

..but because it keeps getting brought up - this is my take on it.

Numerous times I have had converstaions and read conversations re evolution vs creationism.

After laying all the facts and evidence and daigrams and flow charts on the table...

'some' poeple come back with the response of, "So, if humans evolved from monkeys, why are monkeys still here!!?"

That to me is a reflection of education.

You don't have to 'beliveve' this happened - there is 'evidence' this happened, some people just have difficulty understanding 'how' it happened.

You don't have to 'believe' that gravity happens (and to quote Dawkins again) ..it does happen, you just have to understand HOW it happens. If you don't 'beleive' in gravity - walk out of a ten storey window and see what happens.

It could be ignorance.
    ..now - some people take the word 'ignorant' as 'name calling' ..it is not. it is simply that they are 'ignoring the facts' or 'the facts are unknown to them'.

I am completely ignorant when it comes to soccer, I sometimes have DP try to start to explain it to me. I'm still trying to get my head around it. But really I have no interest so I switch off.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

delirium  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    It doesn't take away the hurt caused in the first 10 or so pages, nor does it take away the fear that someone can open themselves up only to find the entire post quoted, replied to with the laughing emoticon and someone saying "are you for real?"
    did you read my post above this one?

you can't compare the hurt caused by religion to the hurt someone feels by someone laughing at religion.
    that is not fair.

your hurt can not be taken away - you've already felt it.

..you can move on though with the virtual promise from the people who have taken the time to reply to your thread and tell you they will respect your sanctuary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been trying my hardest not to mention the 'intelligence' thing.

lettng it slip by has been my way of respecting other people.

..but because it keeps getting brought up - this is my take on it.

Numerous times I have had converstaions and read conversations re evolution vs creationism.

After laying all the facts and evidence and daigrams and flow charts on the table...

'some' poeple come back with the response of, "So, if humans evolved from monkeys, why are monkeys still here!!?"

That to me is a reflection of education.

You don't have to 'beliveve' this happened - there is 'evidence' this happened, some people just have difficulty understanding 'how' it happened.

You don't have to 'believe' that gravity happens (and to quote Dawkins again) ..it does happen, you just have to understand HOW it happens. If you don't 'beleive' in gravity - walk out of a ten storey window and see what happens.

It could be ignorance.
    ..now - some people take the word 'ignorant' as 'name calling' ..it is not. it is simply that they are 'ignoring the facts' or 'the facts are unknown to them'.

I am completely ignorant when it comes to soccer, I sometimes have DP try to start to explain it to me. I'm still trying to get my head around it. But really I have no interest so I switch off.
    Look I have never seen 100% PROOF that we evolved from apes or whatever, is that what you are getting at, I'm a bit lost? I am open to it if you have it (and no- Dawkins is not 'proof'). I do believe we have evolved from the way we were originally made, of course we have, we all adapt to our environments, but I don't think humans and monkeys were ever the same thing, personally etc.

Anyway thats not really the point, the comments about intelligence were about believing in God. And the word wasn't 'ignorant' (which I agree can mean you haven't learnt it), it was 'less-intelligent' and 'primitive'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    did you read my post above this one?

you can't compare the hurt caused by religion to the hurt someone feels by someone laughing at religion.
    that is not fair.

your hurt can not be taken away - you've already felt it.

..you can move on though with the virtual promise from the people who have taken the time to reply to your thread and tell you they will respect your sanctuary.
    You can't proclaim to know how deep anyone else's pain and fear can run on an individual level, and it's unfair to be dismissive of that.