+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 424
  1. #161
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by naebie View Post
    A simple statement like "Supportive comments only" would suffice?

    I think most members know when people genuinely want support, or if it is a thread that can be debated upon...

    Can you give any examples of a thread in here that may be misinterpreted?
    The deleted thread was one where support was needed, and yes I know it was in the general chat section, but the OP needed support and it turned very ugly.

    I'm just saying that a lot of people, when feeling fragile, don't stop to think of how to word it exactly right at the moment they need to write it. Not even meaning me, but there have been others who go to write it then decide it isn't worth it.

  2. #162
    SpecialPatrolGroup's Avatar
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the messy house, Brisbane
    Posts
    9,481
    Thanks
    2,180
    Thanked
    5,405
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Why di I respond to threads in the Religion section? Because I am a member of the bh community and my lack of faith/disbelief in a deity might have me at the far left of the spectrum of religion, but still on the spectrum IYKWIM. I certainly don't set out to mock anyone.

    As for people commenting who do not understand religion, I believe that it is possible to understand faith, to know scripture very well, possibly better than someone who has never had opportunity to question their beliefs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    The problem with going into religious sections and trying to debate is, religion isn't a debatable topic to people who are religious???
    Similarly, my atheism is not a topic that I need to be corrected on, but that doesn't stop people from trying to do just that.

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

    SassyMummy  (04-03-2012),starflame  (04-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (04-03-2012),Witwicky  (04-03-2012)

  4. #163
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Posts
    8,990
    Thanks
    3,308
    Thanked
    1,659
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Why di I respond to threads in the Religion section? Because I am a member of the bh community and my lack of faith/disbelief in a deity might have me at the far left of the spectrum of religion, but still on the spectrum IYKWIM. I certainly don't set out to mock anyone.

    As for people commenting who do not understand religion, I believe that it is possible to understand faith, to know scripture very well, possibly better than someone who has never had opportunity to question their beliefs.

    Similarly, my atheism is not a topic that I need to be corrected on, but that doesn't stop people from trying to do just that.
    I would argue that atheism IS a religious position, albeit as a denial of a gods existence. If a religion is a set of beliefs I definitely think most atheists have a defined set of points upon which they agree.

  5. #164
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Why di I respond to threads in the Religion section? Because I am a member of the bh community and my lack of faith/disbelief in a deity might have me at the far left of the spectrum of religion, but still on the spectrum IYKWIM. I certainly don't set out to mock anyone.

    As for people commenting who do not understand religion, I believe that it is possible to understand faith, to know scripture very well, possibly better than someone who has never had opportunity to question their beliefs.

    Similarly, my atheism is not a topic that I need to be corrected on, but that doesn't stop people from trying to do just that.
    I personally haven't been involved in an atheist thread and corrected someone's beliefs. In the threads just recently being spoken about a question was asked about religion, people who believe in religion answered and when you answer stuff like that you really bare your soul and inner most thoughts. Religion is a very personal and deeply ingrained thing in a person, its who you are and can't be seperated.
    So when you've done that, and someone comes in with no real contribution but to mock religion, they are essentially mocking the person.
    And when I say it wasn't debatable is because you can't debate someones very existence unless they are open and wanting to. That's when I say pick your audience.
    No one asked to be told they should be medicated for believing in God or they're of lower intelligence.

    Everyone is welcome in the threads and everyone is entitled to their opinion, you can say how you feel about religion and I have no problem discussing that, it can be done with mutual respect. When someone however speaks above you and mocks you for your beliefs then that's not right.

    I think the surface is being skimmed here and people who were involved need to realize the people they were talking to had opened themselves up and therefore felt vulnerable, so you have to be more sensitive in what you say. If you think Simeon's a freak or an idiot, do you tell them because hey your just being honest? Or do you keep the nastiness to yourself because you don't want to hurt the person?

    I think there are alot of people who are religious and wanted to come in and chat and express their beliefs but are turned off and too scared. And when your alone and forced to defend your beliefs and your circled by a group of women like I was the other night, I had to switch off and just stop responding because you gang up and set upon people and I don't know how you think it's ok to do that? When I said something to pretty much back off I was ignored.

    So sorry but yous can keep arguing this point and your rights and what not, but some people need to realize they have bad intentions entering the threads and are only there to cause conflict and hurt people. And they aren't sorry, they enjoy it which I think is sad in their part.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

    Deserama  (05-03-2012),Eko  (04-03-2012),OS&N  (04-03-2012)

  7. #165
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tenambit.
    Posts
    9,037
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked
    2,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    I would argue that atheism IS a religious position, albeit as a denial of a gods existence. If a religion is a set of beliefs I definitely think most atheists have a defined set of points upon which they agree.
    Sorry but I just have to use a famous quote here,

    Athiesm is a Religion as much as Baldness is a haircolour.





    Humanism is a Religion though.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

    SassyMummy  (04-03-2012)

  9. #166
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,612
    Thanks
    2,724
    Thanked
    864
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Religion has hurt people both in the past and now. Other people's faith has hurt people. Families ostracise family member's if they do not "toe the line" everyday. This SHOULD be talked about. Otherwise it will just continue on generation after generation.

    Religion and the affects of religion should be debated. Religion unfortunately is a part of our government and our schools and many other parts of life. We should not just back down and say well that is their religion and faith and therefore excuse bad behaviour. This should be debated and talked about. People who have views not in line with the masses should not have to deal with the consequences of people's beliefs around them.

    For example when people's faith and religious choices impact on others. Gay marriage is a great example of this.

    Hold yourself steadfast in your faith, but don't expect other people to have to live in line with your beliefs. Respect yes, but not debate...well no.

    MMm not real sure if that makes sense! But I have to go out so can't sit here and play around with my wording.

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

    FiveInTheBed  (04-03-2012),smallpotatoes  (04-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (04-03-2012),trishalishous  (04-03-2012),Witwicky  (04-03-2012)

  11. #167
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I personally won't state my beliefs in the current open thread, because it seems it's only there for others to laugh at, pull apart, or make a mockery of. So as a result I can't enter it. Many others feel the same way. It's very sad.

  12. #168
    Eko's Avatar
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,837
    Thanks
    1,083
    Thanked
    1,427
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What's SAD is that THIS thread is still going.
    The point was made that some people have been rude and should be more respectful. The general consensus was agreement.

    So why is it still being raked over the coals? There's been no new points made for pages and pages... I'm flabbergasted that every time it seems like it's going to die down, a 'new' (read: same as three pages ago) comment is made, and it all starts the same cycle again.

    I give up, this thread isn't interesting anymore, nor is it an open and frank discussion. It's just a few people ranting over and over about the same thing.
    I don't mean to be offensive, and I'm sorry if my forthrightness offends anyone. But SOMETIMES it has to be said as it's meant. I kept reading because some people were making interesting points. Solutions were offered but it's always "Oh no but... We can't do that because..." If you don't want solutions, why bother complaining about a problem? (That's rhetorical, although I'm CERTAIN I'm going to get a response to it anyway, and it'll be something that's already been said five times over).

    Have fun talking circles

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

    Alphabetsoup  (04-03-2012),naebie  (04-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (04-03-2012)

  14. #169
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tenambit.
    Posts
    9,037
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked
    2,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I personally won't state my beliefs in the current open thread, because it seems it's only there for others to laugh at, pull apart, or make a mockery of. So as a result I can't enter it. Many others feel the same way. It's very sad.
    what thread?

  15. #170
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    what thread?
    The bible one, but what does it matter anyway, pp was right, people will never be respectful and will downright attack others so why bother?


 

Similar Threads

  1. Non-religious parents
    By notquitesupermum in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-03-2012, 20:06
  2. Ediquitte with religious figure
    By 1492 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 07:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!