+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I just wish people could debate and disagree without tearing each others eyes out.
    It'd be nice hey? I know I'm not the best debater and can get too caught up in my opinion and then get snarky etc... but I strive to be like Phillis Stein, who could challenge, question and debate while being tolerant and respectful.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Benji  (03-03-2012),delirium  (03-03-2012),FiveInTheBed  (03-03-2012),Witwicky  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No I really don't think it looked that way. Not to me, anyway. I took it as a genuine attempt to understand a POV. I think its a topic a lot of people think about. When you said your feelings about it, you did so in a way that respected that others felt differently to you. Kind of how Ana Gram's thread about heaven is at the moment. She has stated she personally doesn't believe in God etc, but is wondering how people who do think about certain aspects of it all.

I assumed you didn't answer after a while coz you didn't want a part of all the BS that was going on!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012),share a book  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    It'd be nice hey? I know I'm not the best debater and can get too caught up in my opinion and then get snarky etc... but I strive to be like Phillis Stein, who could challenge, question and debate while being tolerant and respectful.
    I miss Phillis. She was a worthy opponent lol seriously though, her and I agreed 90% of the time and the other 10% I learnt from her (and I hope her from me too).

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Me too

I miss her...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't really say much in that thread. For me, the issue with religion begins when it impacts on my life. Such as,religion playing a part in politics, or the school curriculum, or being part of homophobic laws. For the most part, yes, I AM baffled that people take the bible literally, ignore science and believe what I understand to be fairy tales. But that's fine, believe what you like, just don't bring it into my home. I find religion fascinating, especially spirituality, but leave it out of politics and legal matters please.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Benji  (03-03-2012),delirium  (03-03-2012),FiveInTheBed  (03-03-2012),naebie  (03-03-2012),smallpotatoes  (03-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (03-03-2012),trishalishous  (04-03-2012),Witwicky  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    See, I really think that unless it's a debate thread, people probably don't want to be challenged. Quite often they just want support from like-minded people. Which other part of the forum can they post in to find people who share their beliefs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    See, I really think that unless it's a debate thread, people probably don't want to be challenged. Quite often they just want support from like-minded people. Which other part of the forum can they post in to find people who share their beliefs?
    I agree. It's a huge part of some hubbers everyday life - not something that needs to be challenged (unless it's a debate thread) and even then - I liken it to being a feminist or a vegan or a homebirther and just wanting to connect with like minded people and not being vulnerable to, or being questioned when you don't want to be. You just want to BE and feel safe.

It's tolerance and acceptance and I hope SAB, that if you want to have a thread about christianity that is for other christians, then you feel safe enough to start one. The main part of this forum should be for all to contribute (positively and kindly as per the rules of this site) but I have no issue with being considerate?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

share a book  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not game enough to start a Christian thread for support! It's unlikely to remain supportive. After reading this thread it's clear that some people are not capable of keeping it that way

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not game enough to sta rt a Christian thread for support! It's unlikely to remain supportive. After reading this thread it's clear that some people are not capable of keeping it that way
    I had a look through the religion section of bubhub and I think you'd be fine

I think questioning things, opinions, studies, others etc is great and is actually really necessary but I think if you started a Christian chat group you'd be fine. We have similar problems with other sections of bubhub (single parents for example) but I've never seen a general chat/support thread go sour.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012),naebie  (03-03-2012),Witwicky  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not game enough to start a Christian thread for support! It's unlikely to remain supportive. After reading this thread it's clear that some people are not capable of keeping it that way
    SAB...I'm sure if you had a thread titled 'Christian chat thread' and raised various topics within it - it would be left well alone from people who are not Christian.

I personally wouldn't enter it.

The thread started by Des was a spin off..it had reference to a thread that was started in the General chat area; a continuation.
    (the fact that she anticipated people coming in and calling people names set the tone and was a backhanded invitation IMO)

Anyone can attempt to translate the bible.

If it was titled 'Christians, tell me how you translate passages' or something similar, without refernce to another thread ~ I imagine would be left untouched.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

naebie  (03-03-2012)