+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    When I read Del's thread that disintegrated into possibly one of the ugliest threads I've seen on the hub, I thought it was such a shame....I remember back in the day (yes, I'm a nana) before the hub was giant and had eleventy billion sub sections and areas, there was a thriving thread called "Christian families chat", there was also a weekly bible study thread. There was no exclusion of other members, but there was no name calling, no passive aggressive eye rolls or winks, no arguments, no modding needed - just informal, daily chats between like minded folk.

I'm an atheist, but I haven't always been and I know how hurtful it can be to have a part of your being attacked or mocked. I know that people are generally attacking the religion and not the people that practice the religion, but it's (for the religious people) near impossible to separate the two.

I know bubhub goes in cycles, and next week it'll probably be cloth vs disposables and all this will die down, but I really hope that in the mean time people can just be kind.

Oh and why do I post in threads in this section even though I'm non-religious? Usually because I find the thread interesting.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

delirium  (03-03-2012),Deserama  (05-03-2012),share a book  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think that Christian family chats would still be possible, and weekly bible studies as well, but I think in the case of the thread that degenerated, the topic called for open debate on God's existence.

I do realise that there were some posts that caused offence (to both sides of the debate), but it's the nature of the beast. Religion is always going to be a contentious topic, which is why I think that it would be best to preface your intended audience and those that you want to reply.

I agree that many people find it hard to separate their religion/ faith and who they are. I just think that it pays to be open minded, and instead of shutting down a person who has opposing beliefs, just respectfully agree to disagree.

The respect and tolerance thing goes both ways.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by naebie View Post
    I think that Christian family chats would still be possible, and weekly bible studies as well, but I think in the case of the thread that degenerated, the topic called for open debate on God's existence.

I do realise that there were some posts that caused offence (to both sides of the debate), but it's the nature of the beast. Religion is always going to be a contentious topic, which is why I think that it would be best to preface your intended audience and those that you want to reply.

I agree that many people find it hard to separate their religion/ faith and who they are. I just think that it pays to be open minded, and instead of shutting down a person who has opposing beliefs, just respectfully agree to disagree.

The respect and tolerance thing goes both ways.
    I thought the thread asked for religious people's perspectives on why God allows bad things to happen to good people? Although I'm sure the OP was happy to hear from anyone, I think that was the original question asked.
    With respect, what posts were offensive by the 'religious' posters?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Can I ask why? (if its not too personal)
    Sure...it probably is to personal ...but hell i am not known for being mysterious haha

I was such a full on christian. Bible college, volunteer work. I was head of the "new christian" team.
    I loved my faith. I wanted my faith.

I was so sad when I lost it.

I love the kids school. I cannot find an alternative that is non christian.

I have no issues with christianity as I loved it so, when I was in it.

Atheism is sometimes just as much of a religion. I always laugh at the irony of so many of the similarities.

So I am a person who would like my kids to experience faith at some point. I have no real feelings of brain washing as I am pretty confident in my kids ability to come up with their own opinions.
    DS feels that muslims are closer to the truth than christians..
    and DD thinks God is santa.

I love faith. I love the idea of God, its just not for me.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (03-03-2012),Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I thought the thread asked for religious people's perspectives on why God allows bad things to happen to good people? Although I'm sure the OP was happy to hear from anyone, I think that was the original question asked.
    With respect, what posts were offensive by the 'religious' posters?
    Since the thread has been deleted, I can't quote word for word, but I seem to recall people being called out as being bullies and being disrespectful, when all they'd done is put forward their own ideas and beliefs as to why bad stuff happens to good people. It seems that having a contrary opinion leads to being completely singled out.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naebie For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (04-03-2012),Witwicky  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I actually had some RL stuff go on for about 24 hours after I started the thread and didn't log on until the morning after it was closed but before it was deleted. It was disappointing and yes it went both ways.

I did initially ask for those with religious opinions on why bad things happened to good people but was happy for anyone to give their views. Not to knock their beliefs, but like I said, to get a different perspective bc I wanted to understand the 'other' side and what their views were.

I feel terrible that it was my thread that led to such ugliness sorry peeps, but my intents were innocent *sighs*

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (03-03-2012),naebie  (03-03-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I actually had some RL stuff go on for about 24 hours after I started the thread and didn't log on until the morning after it was closed but before it was deleted. It was disappointing and yes it went both ways.

I did initially ask for those with religious opinions on why bad things happened to good people but was happy for anyone to give their views. Not to knock their beliefs, but like I said, to get a different perspective bc I wanted to understand the 'other' side and what their views were.

I feel terrible that it was my thread that led to such ugliness sorry peeps, but my intents were innocent *sighs*
    Far out, not your fault! You were asking opinions- yes even though it did say religious perspectives, I think it was pretty obvious it was open for everyone to discuss which was going pretty nicely til it started getting personal. Don't feel bad!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Benji  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Far out, not your fault! You were asking opinions- yes even though it did say religious perspectives, I think it was pretty obvious it was open for everyone to discuss which was going pretty nicely til it started getting personal. Don't feel bad!
    Well said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

I doubt anyone blames you for it turning ugly. When people start saying things like it's concerning that adults believe such nonsense then yeah it becomes personal. Or when people say it should not be taught to kids ever, again it's personal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yeah I know,but I was conscious of the fact I started, what could of been and did become a very controversial subject then didn't reply from lunchtime onwards. I know from being on here ages that can be seen as deliberately stirring the pot and kind of sitting back and watching the fireworks. It's done now anyhow.

I just wish people could debate and disagree without tearing each others eyes out.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

share a book  (03-03-2012)