+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I think it is? Just that in recent threads a particular religion has been attacked.
    i would argue that 'attacking' and 'expressing a different set of beliefs' are easily confused

2. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    Hey I'd be interested in knowing the answer to the OP's original question too.

I missed reading the closed thread, but have been following the current one, and it just seems a bit odd- the things Christians wanted to discuss were very different to what ended up being discussed due to questions from non believers - the discussion from adult baptism to a creation/ evolution debate! Which is slightly frustrating for me & I think a lot of other people who were comfortable with the core beliefs of Christianity and wanted to talk about things we didn't know as much about rather than explaining lots of times why we know the Bible is true.

So I'm just curious as to why you would join in to threads like these? Why not start another thread - eg. If you were interested in creation v evolution, why not start another thread to ask these questions?

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.
    This is what I don't understand either

I am more than happy to chat with others about this stuff, in fact I really like hearing what other people think!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    it just seems a bit odd- the things Christians wanted to discuss were very different to what ended up being discussed due to questions from non believers.
    maybe you could start a 'christins only' thread if thats the only group allowed to discuss the thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

So I'm just curious as to why you would join in to threads like these? Why not start another thread - eg. If you were interested in creation v evolution, why not start another thread to ask these questions?
    Have you never contributed to a thread that didn't wholly and totally reflected your beliefs? it would be a boring place if no one posted in threads unless others always agreed.

It's simple really - debate on the subject one wishes, just be decent.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

share a book  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    i would argue that 'attacking' and 'expressing a different set of beliefs' are easily confused
    I agree it can be confused but in some cases recently it was very obviously attacking. I think some people might feel they are being attacked by your statement about religions that 'dictate blind faith', others see it as expressing a different set of beliefs.

In the closed thread (and some others in the past), there was no confusion at all, it was nasty.
    Last edited by Annabella; 03-03-2012 at 17:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no issue with people of all religions questioning people about their own beliefs. Questions are how we learn. It comes down to respect, that's it. To say, "It's simple, ask for that person to show some respect" is almost patronizing. It's been asked, and things get twisted and then we're back to the beginning.

This is simply a futile discussion. Some take enjoyment in riling others up. No matter what is said things will not change. It's unfortunate that we can't all behave like adults, but that's life.

I believe in God, I believe in creation, I believe Jesus is the son of God, I have faith. Ask me about those things, but don't mock me or my religion and don't try and prove my beliefs wrong.

It shouldn't matter what part of the forum you're in, showing respect for others beliefs should be universal.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissPoss For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (03-03-2012),share a book  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Have you never contributed to a thread that didn't wholly and totally reflected your beliefs? it would be a boring place if no one posted in threads unless others always agreed.

It's simple really - debate on the subject one wishes, just be decent.
    Won't say I haven't, but I always add 'sorry for hijacking' and try to get it back on track as quickly as possible- yet this doesn't happen in these threads- why?

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    maybe you could start a 'christins only' thread if thats the only group allowed to discuss the thread
    No one said they weren't allowed- but hijacking it is a bit rude IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally like having open discussions, I don't necessarily only want to hear the Christian POV, I just don't want to see people being belittled because of their view. Just as I'm sure you might want to hear different perspectives to your own religion without feeling put down for your beliefs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I guess hijacking is subjective. Sometimes expressing a different view isn't hijacking... just expressing a different view lol. Threads tend of deviate from the original OP but that's how things go. Just like a conversation things tend to branch off. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Maybe people need to have that disclaimer that atheists aren't welcome in the thread if so many feel we shouldn't post in this section? a bit sad tbh but if it said that I would respect that request and stay out.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (03-03-2012)