+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Awesome View Post
    I have never previously participated in a thread on religion here on BH. I simply saw this thread and thought I would answer the OP.

I agree, posters in ALL sections of the forum should be respectful to each other, regardless of the section a thread is started in.

What I am seeing in this thread though is posters of different religious persuasions being very quick to assume that they know why atheist posters post in threads about religion. As I said in my OP, "if" I chose to join in a thread about religion, my motivation would be to join in the conversation, so please don't assume that ALL non religious members join in threads so they can attack religion.
    Thank you for your response. I've not assumed anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Fiveinthebed - may I just say that I have really enjoyed discussing things with you in the translations of the bible thread, and I really appreciate that we have been able to do so in what I feel is a respectful manner.

If you don't mind my using this as an example, fiveinthebed has identified as an athiest, and said this at the beginning of her contribuition in the thread. I identify as christian. Five in the bed has come into a religious discussion, as an athiest, and has been able to discuss religious topics with me & others respectfully & with (mostly ) no arguments between us.

Other people who identify as athiest have come in and ridiculed religious beliefs. They have belittled, mocked, and scoffed at what we believe. They have tried to bait and be deliberately argumentative, not in a friendly discussion kind of way, but a nasty 'you're stupid for believing in the bible' kind of way. This is where the difference lies.

Fiveinthebed has proved to me that an athiest CAN participate in a religious thread respectfully. It is just up to the individual person to have an attitude of respect for others beliefs.

Oh - *blush* - thanks.

I should admit that I did get plenty of giggles throughout that thread though -- due to frustration mainly.

Not the 'hahaaha - you're an idiot' type giggles, but just the type that come from being baffled by some people's interpretations.

Athiests have been laughed at and mocked throughout time though too - so it's not one sided.
    I've had people laugh in my face (physically - not just online) and mock my thoughts on Evolution - "PFFFTTTT!! you think we come from MONKEYS!!?? Bahahahahhahaha!!"
    To which i'm left again baffled that they took what I'd said to summarise into that.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    No, not simple.
    Actually, it kinda is.

Hey folks, I know some people will miss this post because they're too busy finding posts to react to like bugs to a light, but how about this.

Can we all please speak respectfully to each other? And if not, is it possible to not comment simply so that we don't all end up in a 10 page thread that doesn't really go anywhere at all?

Thanks

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012),mum2twinboys  (05-03-2012),naebie  (03-03-2012),NancyBlackett  (03-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So because I suck at wording things correctly it's ok for people to be disrespectful?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't think that's what eko meant. Just to come straight out and ask for a respectful debate... and you are not responsible for other's actions just bc you started the thread... look how my thread went to the dogs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't think that's what eko meant. Just to come straight out and ask for a respectful debate... and you are not responsible for other's actions just bc you started the thread... look how my thread went to the dogs
    That was shocking, I'm sorry it turned out that way.

I am interested in why people enter, though. Many can do so without causing hurt by mocking or laughing at people. Is it really that hard?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i am religious. just not a western religion.
    and my religion encourages people to think for themselves and question the world around them, which is why i have and issue with relgions which dictate blind faith.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (03-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (03-03-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    also i assumed the religious section was inclusive and for all religions/beliefs, not just 1 specific religion.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Made in England  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    also i assumed the religious section was inclusive and for all religions/beliefs, not just 1 specific religion.
    I think it is? Just that in recent threads a particular religion has been attacked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey I'd be interested in knowing the answer to the OP's original question too.

I missed reading the closed thread, but have been following the current one, and it just seems a bit odd- the things Christians wanted to discuss were very different to what ended up being discussed due to questions from non believers - the discussion from adult baptism to a creation/ evolution debate! Which is slightly frustrating for me & I think a lot of other people who were comfortable with the core beliefs of Christianity and wanted to talk about things we didn't know as much about rather than explaining lots of times why we know the Bible is true.

So I'm just curious as to why you would join in to threads like these? Why not start another thread - eg. If you were interested in creation v evolution, why not start another thread to ask these questions?

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)