+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I will admit I was disappointed to log on to see the thread closed and how it panned out. It was absolutely not my intention to have it go as it did when I created it. I'm at a low point in my life and other people I know, good people, are going thru lots of stuff to. It was an attempt to understand, maybe for ME to clarify for myself.
    Exactly- what was a respectful discussion on both sides was fine until someone (who the original post was not directed at- not that I think that means ONLY religious people should've been allowed to answer) came in and started outright putting down people's belief, and the people themselves. It happened once and everyone kind of ignored it, so they just kept going, obviously to get a bite, not to contribute to the discussion in any way. Despite believing in God, I was also very disappointed because it is a question I think about often, I also don't know why such a loving God allows these things to happen. I think a lot of people were genuinely interested in what people from both sides thought.

As has been repeatedly pointed out, this thread was in the general section, does that really mean people are exempt from being polite and respectful?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (03-03-2012),Cinderella82  (03-03-2012),Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    *sighs* c'mon girls.... this thread is going to get closed soon. Can't we just have a decent discussion here? I think there could be some importance to this thread, to have religious people understand why atheists respond to religious threads.
    I genuinely don't believe atheists shouldn't respond. In fact I think it is greet to examine and question faith. I just hate to see people mocked.

I also hate to see people ask others to bare their souls only to turn around and attack them.

I really hope things get better for you and your friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry you read it that way. I want to find out reasons, and ask people to be respectful. But never mind. It will be seen as pointless or passive aggressive so why not shut it down and have it deleted and for about being respectful. I give up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Why does everyone get so worked up about religion? Blergh, who cares what someone believes...unless you're ramming it down my throat I'm happy to let you carry on thinking whatever you want to think.

PS- I bought a sticker to stop door knockers. The other day 2 Mormon men completely disregarded my sticker and said that "we saw your sticker on your window but felt we needed to speak to you about Jesus"...umm no. I paid $5 for that sticker and right now you are trespassing. THATS ramming it.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (03-03-2012),Annabella  (03-03-2012),Chocolate All Gone Now  (03-03-2012),Deserama  (05-03-2012),Made in England  (03-03-2012),naebie  (03-03-2012),share a book  (03-03-2012),thinkingaboutit  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Fiveinthebed - may I just say that I have really enjoyed discussing things with you in the translations of the bible thread, and I really appreciate that we have been able to do so in what I feel is a respectful manner.

If you don't mind my using this as an example, fiveinthebed has identified as an athiest, and said this at the beginning of her contribuition in the thread. I identify as christian. Five in the bed has come into a religious discussion, as an athiest, and has been able to discuss religious topics with me & others respectfully & with (mostly ) no arguments between us.

Other people who identify as athiest have come in and ridiculed religious beliefs. They have belittled, mocked, and scoffed at what we believe. They have tried to bait and be deliberately argumentative, not in a friendly discussion kind of way, but a nasty 'you're stupid for believing in the bible' kind of way. This is where the difference lies.

Fiveinthebed has proved to me that an athiest CAN participate in a religious thread respectfully. It is just up to the individual person to have an attitude of respect for others beliefs.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012),share a book  (03-03-2012)

Guest Guest
    It's me who's getting angry.
    Why is because people are here telling you they felt mocked and offended in those threads, and the very people who were doing the mocking and offending and here completely invalidating them. Again.

Can you accept when someone is being offended and try and be more respectful instead of further mocking them for feeling that way???

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (03-03-2012),Deserama  (05-03-2012),Rutabaga  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I'm sorry you read it that way. I want to find out reasons, and ask people to be respectful. But never mind. It will be seen as pointless or passive aggressive so why not shut it down and have it deleted and for about being respectful. I give up.
    Why give up!!??

ASK people respectively to be respectful if you wish them to show respect - simple.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have never previously participated in a thread on religion here on BH. I simply saw this thread and thought I would answer the OP.

I agree, posters in ALL sections of the forum should be respectful to each other, regardless of the section a thread is started in.

What I am seeing in this thread though is posters of different religious persuasions being very quick to assume that they know why atheist posters post in threads about religion. As I said in my OP, "if" I chose to join in a thread about religion, my motivation would be to join in the conversation, so please don't assume that ALL non religious members join in threads so they can attack religion.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Awesome For This Useful Post:

delirium  (03-03-2012),starflame  (03-03-2012),Witwicky  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Why give up!!??

ASK people respectively to be respectful if you wish them to show respect - simple.
    No, not simple.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    It's me who's getting angry.
    Why is because people are here telling you they felt mocked and offended in those threads, and the very people who were doing the mocking and offending and here completely invalidating them. Again.

Can you accept when someone is being offended and try and be more respectful instead of further mocking them for feeling that way???
    I'm sorry you are feeling this way and believe it or not, I *do* understand. As a ff'er not by choice, my neck hairs bristle when I see bfers come into threads were women have said they want to ff and are looking for support and try to get them to persevere.

But I also think healthy discussion is great for the mind. If you believe, who cares what some random on the internet thinks. I mean, these are just my opinions. Stand behind your beliefs... as long as you don't try to convert me as a sinner.... j/k probably poor taste but just trying to lighten the mood

16. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post: