+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Those who are not religious

Why do you enter threads about religions if not to understand it better?

Is it an attempt to discredit people?

Is it to prove them wrong?

Is it to make out like you know more than religious people?

Or is it something else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I go through phases where I am "religious" so to speak, and other phases where I think it's a load of rubbish........ Usually depends on what is happening in my life at the time.

I am catholic, went to catholic schools, and did all my rites.

If I ever enter a religious thread when I'm not so much of a believer, it's usually to read the funny and judgmental responses from people who are not religious, but also who have no real knowledge on religion, religious practices, or the general faith of said religion what so ever.

This often cheers me up and brings me back to reality a bit. Lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atlantic Puffin For This Useful Post:

share a book  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think athiests necessarily know less about religion, I know a lot of people don't really understand their own religion

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (03-03-2012),Gandalf  (03-03-2012),SarahTamar  (03-03-2012),share a book  (03-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm atheist, I know a lot about religion. I can recite various verses from the Bible, I know who is who from the Bible and I know a lot more than DH who is apparently Catholic (I call him a convenient Catholic haha). My kids go to a Catholic school and it doesn't bother me because IMO all that means is that they spend an extra 20 mins a day learning about extra fairytales.

I don't bother going into the threads because religion is all make believe to me and it would be a total waste of my time. Sometimes I have a laugh at what people say though.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

starflame  (03-03-2012),~Marigold~  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    See, I think it's very rude to go into threads about religion and say it's a fairy tale or laugh/scoff at people.

I do agree that people sometimes don't know everything about their religion, but then a lot of people believe in God without subscribing to a particular religion.

People who believe in a god are not wrong.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Atlantic Puffin  (03-03-2012),BaronessM  (04-03-2012),breakthemould  (03-03-2012),Deserama  (05-03-2012),Pawzette  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes well thats why I didn't go in there and say anything. I get to rant on about how hilarious I find religion to DH anyway...its amusing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

share a book  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    See, this is the religion/spirituality forum of bub hub, yet many people can't enter for fear of being mocked, so I do wonder why that happens. Why people feel the need to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do think I've gone into a specificity for religious people thread before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't tend to go into religious threads unless it's one like that "Should religion be taught in school?" one but that wasn't a religious thread, it was about religion as a subject, much like this one. However, sometimes I stumble upon a thread which I didn't realise was in the spirituality/religion section. I am sometimes fascinated by what people believe and why and I do respect other people's beliefs even if they are not my own. However, I would not post in a religious thread as I don't proclaim, or really want, to know that much about different religions and my beliefs or lack thereof are my own. I wouldn't call myself atheist though but I don't think I am agnostic as I don't necessarily believe in a higher power and certainly not one single person that controls or made everything. I don't think there is a label for me.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    See, I think it's very rude to go into threads about religion and say it's a fairy tale or laugh/scoff at people.

I do agree that people sometimes don't know everything about their religion, but then a lot of people believe in God without subscribing to a particular religion.

People who believe in a god are not wrong.
    I don't set my mind in stone when it comes to that sort of thing and I'm genuinely a curious person when it comes to religion. I had two pastors at the highschool I went to. One used to regularly thank me for asking questions in class and questioning his views, because it made him a better christian to look at his faith in a different way regularly.
    The other used to shout at me and tell me I was going to hell simply because I didn't blindly accept his teachings.
    I didn't ask those questions to be a pain, or to get them to PROVE themselves. I asked them because I wanted to know how they perceived their own religion.

I'm not christian, but I AM a curious person. I like to ask because I like to brush the dust of my beliefs and challenge them every now and then. I've found the best way of doing that is questioning someone else's faith. They may have ideas that I haven't come across yet

By the by, people who don't believe in god are not wrong either. We're all just individuals living our lives and letting our religions (or not) impact as we choose

ETA: On reading that I guess I didn't answer the question that well! If I go into religious threads, it's mostly to see what other people think and to get an understanding of their beliefs. I don't judge other people on what they believe, and I don't care if they judge me. Being close-minded is the only thing that I really fear when it comes to religious discussions
    Last edited by Eko; 03-03-2012 at 14:37.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (04-03-2012)