+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Yoghurt for 9 mth old

Hello!!

I have always given my babies Vaalia yoghurt from 6 months. Last week I tried to get it from my local Woolies and they said they don't make it anymore. I have just tried my local Coles and they said the same?!

I had a look at both dairy sections and couldn't see a yoghurt for bubs. I feel silly, but I don't know what to use and my bubs loves her yoghurt!!!

What do you use for your babies for yoghurt???

Thanks so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD2, 6 months, just has natural yoghurt with a bit of fruit chopped up and added, or as a dip with fruit or vege sticks.

Baby yoghurt is a bit of a scam, I think. No healthier than normal flavoured yoghurt. And less healthy than natural unsweetened yoghurt.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bugsy For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i would use an 'normal' yoghurt - ie. NOT low fat, low sugar blah blah.

anything that hasn't been adulterated!!!

i hate how it's hard these days to just find normal yoghurt. i personally like browne's yoghurt but i think that's only in wa.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use 5am vanilla bean yoghurt. Yummiest yoghurt ever.

It's all organic and fairly low sugar compared to other brands.

i think it's only available from Woolworths though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jalna. It is pot set, and no artificial anything (no preservatives, colours etc). You don't need a specific 'baby' yoghurt, they are a bit of a scam and still have quite a bit of sugar and other ingredients in them.

My 6 month old DD has Jalna natural, whole milk, biodynamic yoghurt either by itself (she is used to the tart taste as she has never had anything with sugar in it anyway), and sometimes a squirt a bit of Rafferty's Garden fruit puree in it for a different taste (or you could just mash fresh fruit into it).

Its the most healthy yoghurt you could give your bub

HTH

ETA; My local Coles sells it, but the whole milk one only comes in a big 1kg tub. Its not a big issue for me as the whole family eats it, but it does make it quite expensive. I think its about $7 for the tub. Although that is probably cheaper per gram than the individual pots of other brands.
    Last edited by breakthemould; 03-03-2012 at 12:50.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to breakthemould For This Useful Post:

meljemillie  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    mine just has greek style yoghurt with home made fruit puree to 'sweeten' ... through he likes it plain too.

has been having this since about 5 months old - he's 17months now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, baby yoghurt is just a marketing trick. If you have a look at the ingredients, there is nothing special in them that makes them more suitable for babies.

Jalna Creamy Vanilla yoghurt is great. It also doesn't have any sugar in it, which suprisingly the Vaalia baby yoghurt does!

I've also from time to time bought Petit Miams more for the convenience of the little pots rather than the actual yoghurt.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we used natural yoghurt, though dd loves those squeezy tube things now

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ah, that explains why I haven't been able to find any! I've been on the hunt all week. Grrrr.

I just bought a big tub of plain old natural yoghurt. Will just spoon a bit out every day and mix a little pureed fruit in with it I think.

I just like the convenience of little tubs, even though it is more economical to buy a bigger one and portion it out. I'm so lazy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for all your replies!

I did think it was gimmick, but it's very convenient and perfect portion size. I am also lazy!!

But I will be trying all suggestions and see what she likes best. Thank you again, I felt like a dill asking this question!

xx