+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know someone that was adopted by a mum in Tasmania 30 years ago. She already had 4 kids, and while it did cost a lot of money it proves it can be possible

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Renvind  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just finished reading 'Jesse's World'- A story of adoption and the global family by Basia Bonkowski, which you might find interesting/helpful. Most of the families included in this book adopted their children from Colombia. It also mentions support networks that put families going through/considering adoption with parents who have completed the journey.

My best friend was adopted from South Korea when she was a few months old, her older sister was adopted in Aus a few years previously.

Good luck with your journey

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

Renvind  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone! the good news stories are great!! I realise that adoption is really difficult but I know it's not impossible. It has been easy to find info on how hard it is, but really tricky to find real (non celebrity) good successful stories, hence my request for stories.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Renvind For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend just adopted a little boy from cambodia I think, it took around 3 years and $40k but he is gorgeous there is an orphanage group that help, would u like me to get the details?

We are in sa, it can happen !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are called Gentle Hands, you can find them on facebook

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mmm! I would consider the title of the thread, international adoption indicates that it is actually about Aussie citizens adopting while living as Expats.

Whereas inter-country adoption (ICA) tends to be the term used for those remaining in Australia while adopting from overseas.
    It is taking a significantly lengthily time with some families waiting between 5 to 8 years from starting the process. Each state has a slightly different approaches which can either lengthen or shorten the time. Some states are more engaged with the process of ICA.

Each state has different countries that have current programs with - for example a few years ago, SA had a program with Nepal and Vic had a program with Poland. However you need to understand that they have quota restrictions and sometimes there might be 10 or more waiting families in front of you and the quota per year for the state your with might be 2 applications per year.

I personally would recommend living overseas for a year (for reasons other than adoption) and then exploring adoption that way. However you need to look into issues around returning to Australia - for this reason think carefully about the medical and emotional issues that your child might present with and if immigration laws will allow your child to become a resident or citizen.
    I just finished reading 'Jesse's World'- A story of adoption and the global family by Basia Bonkowski, which you might find interesting/helpful
    I love Basia I think she would make a great advocate for those going through ICA within Australia - plus she is the Goddess of Rock from the 1980's of SBS rock.

If you want good news stories you really need to join the country specific parenting group or waiting group - that's where you find the good news stories.

I do recommend reading Julie Rollings story and her blog

http://bittersweet-story.blogspot.co...&max-results=1

However it might not be the 'good' news story of ICA. ICA or any adoption situation is much more complex, you can't have the good aspects of it without the traumatic and emotionally challenges of adoption.

I say this as someone that actually did the ICA process for four and half years and as someone that is partly adopted myself and has people in my family that are adopted.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jackie7 For This Useful Post:

Atlantic Puffin  (22-03-2012),breakthemould  (19-03-2012),Sunshinebell  (15-02-2013)