+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Good news stories for International Adoption

It's something thats been on my mind for a while now, and it's definately something that we will be considering in the future. There's a lot of bad news stories about the process of adoption and I have found it hard to find good news stories about successful adoptions...

Does anyone have any good news stories for international adoption? I would love to hear and I'm sure lots of others would love to hear your story as well...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, also subscribing! We plan to start the process when DD is 1 (minimum age for youngest child in family in qld)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Inter-country adoption is pretty much almost non existent in Australia.

My mil tried to adopt her orphaned half niece from England, and was unable to do so after 2 years of fighting, she has now been in Australia for 2 years and is under a "kinship care" order.

Sorry to have a negative kind of post, but I really hate how sh!t the system is in aus with inter country adoption. It is not easy, not cheap, and not a fun process at all.

Hopefully there is someone on the hub who has had a more positive experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by breakthemould View Post
    Sorry, also subscribing! We plan to start the process when DD is 1 (minimum age for youngest child in family in qld)

Also, when I last checked, the only department in aus for inter country adoption is in NSW (sorry or maybe Vic???), and they only do placements for those in that state. I think for the rest of aus it's pretty much not do-able.

This could have changed though?

The last time I looked into it, they get well over 1000 applications a year, the minimum wait was 3 years, and they only did like 30-40 placements of international children a year.

It's easily searchable... I would do it but I'm on my phone, and probably won't get a chance to do it for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A family friend adopted a gorgeous little girl from China about 5 years ago 😊. We are in SA.

Good luck with the process 😊

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

Renvind  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am also in SA and a lady I work with adopted twin girls at 12 months old from China. She said it was a very long, very taxing process which is so unfortunate when there are so many children in need!

Her girls are now 8 years old, I think, so it was a while ago.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

Renvind  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All states in Australia have inter country adoption programs. However, each state have their own requirements , as well as the requirements of the country you are wanting to adopt from. It is getting harder to adopt internationally ( long waits time wise) , but it's not impossible. Each state have adoption support groups you can contact and also each state's department can give you the right info!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mapalesa For This Useful Post:

Renvind  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, all states have an adoption program (intercountry). In qld your youngest child may be no younger than 12 months to submit your expression of interest. There are limited countries that Australia has an agreement with and each.state is allocated a quota of children able to be adopted by the other country. We are looking at Thailand and India, however Thailand has recently said that they consider two children already in the adoptive family enough and that waiting times would be considerably longer to adopt another child. Its so frustrating!

I have met a lady who adopted a little girl from Taiwan as an older baby, then a few years later she adopted a brother for her. It took 3 years, I think, for the girl and cost $30,000. Taiwan is an expensive program (as is China and Africa) and I believe they require you to be infertile. The children are super gorgeous and have a wonderful life! I saw them at a bbq for adoptive children (i was just at the beach on the same day) and I was so happy for all the smiling faces (kids and adoptive parents) there, it gave me goosebumps!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to breakthemould For This Useful Post:

Renvind  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend is approved and on a waitlist for international adoption. We hope she'll be a mummy in the next few years.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Renvind  (05-03-2012)