+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby's Sleeping Routine & Feeding

Hello Ladies

Not sure if I am posting this in the right area. I am having sleep issues with my 10 week old, mostly day time. She just does not seem to want to sleep during the day. Night time she will go about 5 hours from the time I do a last feed at 10.30, occassionally 6 hours. and then wake at 7am for the start of the day. But I am concerned she is not getting enough hours during the day. The biggest seems to be dragging her out to take my DS1 out to preschool, so she doesn't really get a routine. By the time I get her home settled and hour or two of sleep before her next feed, we have to head off again to collect him from preschool. So from about 2pm to 7/7:30pm she won't settle and have her sleeps. I am just worried that she is not getting enough sleep. Corrected in age she is coming up 8weeks of age. She is bottled fed as my milk did not come in, but then the problem I am having as because she is little she only seems to take small feeds. ie 80mls, not all the time, I am wondering if whilst she fills herself up at the start of the feed whether she is hungry again when she goes to sleep therefore going to bed on an empty stomach. I am trying to follow the routine of wake, feed, play sleep. I don't want to have to feed her to get to sleep. But her stomach seems to only take small feeds. Currently she is fed 3 1/2 hourly so she is on 6 feeds a day but I am not including her 3.30 am ish feed so she is probably actually having seven. Any advice for how many feed she should be on a day. allowing for the correction in her age and she is just under 4.5kg she was born at 2.5kg. She is a happy enough baby when awake but easily bores. I am at my wits end and it is really affecting my mood. I feel like I am doing something wrong. My first one never cried, woke up fed, played went back to sleep no dramas. This one she knocks her dummie out she wakes screaming, sleeps very lightly. I have been reading the save our sleep book and for this age they recommend two hours wake time inbetween feeds. I thought this sounded to much the most I might go is 1.5hours? Any thoughts please I am desperate. Has anyone mixed farex in formula to thicken to help a baby sleep, as I reckon she is hungry even though she thinks she is full. HELP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Just a couple of things that come to mind when I read your post...
    How much milk is your bubs having in total every 24 hours? I would look at that rather than how much per feed. I know for a breast feed baby the total required per day is 150ml x weight in kg's. If they are putting on weight, healthy and alert then they are probably getting enough. I would not add Farex to milk. Solids are not recommended before 4 months.

For sleep, 2 hours awake time sounds like too long for a 10 week old. My DS is 5 months and can't manage much more than 2 hours. I would be expecting closer to 1 hour and then be looking for tired signs.

IMHO I would take the Save our Sleep book with a pinch of salt and adapt the routines to suit you and your baby.

Hope things start to get better soon.

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Your DD may find it hard to go back to sleep due to being overtired. So maybe cutting down the length of her awake times may help her a bit more.
    I know in my case, more sleep makes more sleep!

In regards to adding something to the bottle. I wouldn't be keen to do that as it a) may not work and b) is far to early to introduce solids.

Maybe you need to adjust the routine to feed play feed sleep just to see if in fact she is a little more hungry? If your concerned about creating a habit - you could stop feeding before she falls asleep or work on changing that later down the track.

All the best - sometimes my 7 week old fights the sleep too - but I just pop her in a wrap or sling and wear her down to sleep - if that's an option too to keep up with your busy day - try that as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second the suggestion of feed play feed sleep. I had premature twins, one was smaller and fed every 2 hrs, I couldn't get her to take anymore to space her out. So I did feed play feed sleep. If sge's 3 1/2 hrs btn feeds then she should only be awake about 60-90 mins, including feed, and then try to get her to sleep 90-120 mins.

Sleep promotes sleep. I didn't appreciate this. I started putting my girls down earlier than I thought, it turns out I was missing the first tired signs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks everyone. Yeah I haven't ever kept her up for the two hours as Lizzy Halls book suggests. As yes she shows me she is tired. The longest I have managed to get her is 1.15, but even when she seems to show me she is tired she still doesn't seem to settle. No I didn't think adding farex was the go my mum suggested it, but I am also of the opinion she is too young. Maybe I will try the feed, play feed sleep but as it seems to be the only way she takes a full feed. The paed said she is probably a not a big feeder but then she doesn't settle as I think she is slightly hungry. So confusing. But thanks for all the advice. She just doesn't seem to want to sleep during the day. I know sleep promotes sleep but I can't get her to do it during the day. One day she went 7am to 7pm the ironic thing she wasn't even grumpy but just would not sleep. Even letting her have a cry, she fussed but then she esculates until she needs to be comforted. So I havn't even one the battle with lettn her have a bit of a cry before bed. thanks