+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help my milk wont come in and it's day 4. !!!

On day 1 i had so much colosterone i was collecting it and bub had huge amount in first 24 hrs. it then slowed right down on day 2 and 3.

it's day 4 and still just only a few drops.

My baby cant latch on due to jaw problems. I massage my breasts in a few different ways and try to hand express and then i also try using my medela pump.

I obviously cant baby bub on brest and just want to know that my milk will still come in. today i notices my aureolas have become HUGE and then i pump my uterus contracts... so it has to be doing something yes??

I want to use my own milk to bad and take him off the formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, you really need to get a hospital grade pump, good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi babybloom. Congratulations on the birth of your bub! I'm certainly no expert, but I know how stressful the first few days and weeks can be with a newborn, so I hope my reply can ease your mind a bit. I've had a bit of a search on the net and found this about milk coming in:

"Even before you give birth, your milk is already "in." The colostrum you've produced since you were about four months pregnant is milk. However, we generally refer to the surge in milk volume and the change in composition as the milk "coming in." In the normal course of events, your milk will change and increase in volume even if you don't breastfeed your baby. When the placenta is delivered, the hormone that causes milk production (prolactin) goes to work. So whether or not you put your baby to your breast, your body will make milk.

If you're a first-time mom, you'll probably notice your milk increasing about three to four days postpartum, with your breasts getting fuller, firmer, and heavier. If you've had a very difficult delivery, or if you notice a lot of extra swelling (edema) in your body after a prolonged induction with an epidural, you may find that it takes a day or two more for the milk volume to increase. With your second or later babies, you're likely to notice it a bit earlier, at around two to three days. These time frames are averages — some moms have milk earlier, some later. Your baby is getting colostrum from the start, though, so don't worry that he has nothing to eat!"

So from what I can gather it's hormones (not stimulation) that will bring your milk in. Hang in there, it looks like it can take up to 5 or 6 days. I hope that helps, but perhaps a more experienced mummy can back this up for you!

ETA: can you see a lactation consultant (your local health centre should have one) about the latching issues?
    Last edited by BH-tech; 27-01-2015 at 13:58.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It is quite common for milk to not be in yet at day 4. Don't stress too much. Can you give bub the colustrum that you have collected, rather than formula?

Lots of skin to skin cuddles, even if baby can't feed from the breast yet, will help you release those hormones that bring milk in, and the cuddles are good for bub and you too!

Getting a really good quality pump, and pumping regularly will help. The ABA hires out pumps, and can give you more info too.

Congrats on your new baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't worry it will be in in no time and in a big way! Lots of nude skin to skin in bed, co sleep for extra hormone inducing cuddles if you like. Drink HEAPS of water and eat lots of good food. Also the stress of your birth injury and also the worry about jaw can add to everything, so take it really easy and get lots of help. All you need to do is relax, stay comfortable, sleep as much as you can, and look after your precious baby.

HTH

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you everyone your advice is fantastic. i do skin to skin with baby and i have medela swing pump its good to my breasts. i had both birth trauma and 3 huge lots of nerve block so i guess that has made my milk late. i dont have enough colosterone to keep bub fed. yesterday it was not even 0.5m and he has about 30ml formula now. i cant wait to get my milk in a big way and feeed it to my baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hugs... With my first, hard labour, emergency section, my milk wasn't in until Day 10! We had to do 20-30ml formula top ups for 7 days, it killed me... I did go on to BF her for 9 months after though... Hang in there honey...

Thanks
    Reviews
    BM came in last night and im pumping well, he is now getting all my BM and top up with formula.

phew

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babybloom For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there

With Dd1, I had her on BM and formula since I kind of doubted my milk production capabilities. Just to realize by doing the top ups, My milk production slowed down and eventually my milk all gone at 9 months and she's on formula since then.

This time with Dd 2, I'm putting my faith in nature and she's 100% Breastfed And so far for the last 6 months, her charts are consistent.

It's something for you to think about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on your baby