+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default my newborn has uneven jaw, cant feed, what to do ???

Ive been told that my newborn was sitting in a aquard position for the last few weeks of tern and now he has an uneven mouth. you cant see it my looking at him but when he cries you can see the one side is closing together has a gap remaining.
    He also has a small tongue... well he curls his tongue back into the roof of his mouth. Have no luck with breastfeeding he gets very upset and screens and bites down so hard he just cant get his tongue out.

Im working on expressing (thats another story) but im so worried about his little mouth.

the ped at host said it will just sort itself out but i dont believe them they saw him for like 2 seconds.

Im going to take him to an osteo right away and try to fix things.

any advice would be so appreciated im i so worried about my little baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Going to an osteo is an excellent idea, should help bub balance out.

Is your baby tongue tied? Can he poke his tongue out? To check poke your tongue out at him and he should copy you. I would see a lactation consultant too. If he is tongue tied it may need release.

When I had DS 1 the doctor at hospital also told me his tongue tie would be fine and sort itself out. He was unable to latch, and lactation consultant took one look and told me it was a severe tongue tie needing release. She then chased the doctor down the hall and made him come back, take another look, and refer me to the doctor who releases then.

I hope things get sorted out for you soon, good luck and hugs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I completely understand your concern, I would want him looked at as well. An osteo or baby chiro & LC would be my suggestion also. If his tongue is curling into the roof of his mouth I wouldn't have thought he had a tongue tie, but a good LC would be able to guide you regarding that.

Good luck, your osteo should be able to help

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes i think he is tongue tied. i need to be my own dr here coz the hospital i was at is ****.

should i take him to westmead childrens in Sydney or get recomendation from BFA.

where can i get A good DR to see him in Sydney?

thank you for your advice !!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybloom View Post
    yes i think he is tongue tied. i need to be my own dr here coz the hospital i was at is ****.

should i take him to westmead childrens in Sydney or get recomendation from BFA.

Bumping for you

Contact your post natal care team for more information. Your midwife should be able to help you. For our sons tongue tie release we saw a GP type doctor in Brisbane, my midwife gave us the details. Don't stop asking for help until you get it!

Thanks
    Reviews

Every Early Childhood centre holds a breast feeding clinic every week. They all hold them on different days so there is one open locally every day.

If you tell me which suburb you are in I can look it up for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son was tongue-tied and I had seen two LC and my MCHN (who is amazing), but none of them suggested it could be causing our bf issues. I rang the ABA and they gave me the details of a few GPs who snip their frenulum (is that what its called?), I went and saw one who is also a LC and she snipped it tere and then, things improved straight away, then even moreso over the next couple of weeks.

Other than that I think an osteo or chiro is a great idea.

Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    good news, he is not tongue tied, its just the uneven jaw, which osteo is working on.

Ilovehats I live in acasia gardens. I still have to contact my nearest centre, midwife told me that they would call me but i dont think they will.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babybloom For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    good news, he is not tongue tied, its just the uneven jaw, which osteo is working on.

Ilovehats I live in acasia gardens. I still have to contact my nearest centre, midwife told me that they would call me but i dont think they will.
    Hi OP, Good to hear your news.

I had to contact my centre and leave a message with my contact details. They then called me with a date and time for the home visit. If you need anything before then they should have a feeding clinic and drop in clinic at least once a week. I went to the feeding clinic at Cremorne and found it really good, so might help if bubs is still struggling due to his jaw. Sorry my list only covers North Shore and Ryde which is a big of a trek for you.

Good Luck with everything.