+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5 month old resisting day sleeps

My gorgeous boy has all of a sudden resisting his day sleeps and its driving me crazy! He is very whiney during the day I consistently try and resettle with the baby bliss technique but max I get is 30 mins before he is screaming or just wants to play! Any ideas does teething make him whiney?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think nearly everyone in my mothers group inc me is complaining of the same problem! Our bubs are 5 mths!!!! My DS is teething, two bottom ones are through but top ones are coming. I don't think that's why he won't rest during the day. I think he has discovered new ways to look at the world and is doing just that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd really wants to be up & about for much longer now. It's so unpredictable though. Mostly she'll want to go back to sleep about an hour after she wakes up, but usually at least once a day she'll be up (and happy) for 2 hours. If she's happy I let her stay up. If she shows tired signs I put her down. If she resists sleep I don't persist in trying to settle her (after about 10 minutes) and I give up & let her play some more. Sometimes it's cause she needs to do a poo, or burp, but more often than not she just wants to keep playing.

She's been doing this for a few weeks so I'm finding it a bit easier to go with the flow, but a few weeks ago when it started I had no idea what to do and lost my confidence for a bit. Now, it's just normal. The trick is not to get frustrated with trying to settle bubs ... there's no harm in giving up if it's not working and trying again 15 - 30 minutes later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
    I think nearly everyone in my mothers group inc me is complaining of the same problem! Our bubs are 5 mths!!!! My DS is teething, two bottom ones are through but top ones are coming. I don't think that's why he won't rest during the day. I think he has discovered new ways to look at the world and is doing just that!
    Yep me too! My DS is six months but has been fighting day sleeps since 5 months...he sleeps but its soooo hard to get him to sleep without the little tanties and when he doesn fall asleep its only for half hour anyway. Thankfully he goes down easy at night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies just good to know I'm not alone! Night time he goes down without a fuss thank god! As you said it's made me lose some of my confidence but I guess with Josh it may just be a go with the flow situation I think I read too much about routines and it ends up making me feel worse!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, My bub is also 5 months and did start to resist day sleeps, but I realised that he just wanted to stay awake for a bit longer between sleeps. He has at least 2 hours awake and the goes down without a problem for 2 sleeps a day. Sometimes he has a third sleep for 30 mins around 4pm, but this depends on how long he slept for the other 2.

We recently stopped wrapping him as he is too active now, so use a calming cd as his sleep cue during the day. I wait for tired signs, then take him to his room, put on sleeping bag and then we cuddle whilst listening to the cd for about 5 mins. This really helps to calm him down and prepare for sleep. I can then put him down without much fuss and he sleeps for at least an hour.

The key seems to be calming him before putting him down. I guess at 5 months they are realising there is so much going on that is exciting.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

JessColquhoun  (05-03-2012)