+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you work with someone with different work ethics?...a bit of a vent.

I work in a professional role (Financial Adviser) and there is another woman who basically does the same role.

Issue is that she constantly comes into work late i.e. at 9:30 -10am, when starting time is 8:30am to 9am. Then she is out of the door by 5-5:30pm unless the boss is wokring back in which case she works back as well....just to give the impression that she works hard.

When the boss isnt around, she has disappeared for 3 hours to go get her hair done on a few occassions. She has taken 1/2 day annual leave...but doesnt factor in that she has arrived at 10am, but then she will still leave the office at12noon...so she basically worked 2 whole hours that day.

Might be my pregnancy hormones but I find this really annoying. On the other hand I think why should I be annoyed it doesnt affect my job...but it annoys me that my boss has this impression that this co-worker works so hard when in actual fact she does not. I am annoyed not so much for me (I've handed in my resignation already) but for the other co-workers who actually do the right thing and work their butt off instead of just always complaining they are so busy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know exactly what you mean! I had changed positions (within same organisation). In the new department, I was one of the lowest paid employees. I would start work usually 7-8am before anyone got there and finish after everybody left. Everybody else was having holidays and leave around me and when I fell pg I really struggled to keep up with my previous work ethic and felt mad that I was being underpaid for doing more work.

It was such a male sexist place they didn't give a &%&&.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are currently putting up with a similar issue in my office. I think the worst part about it is it's those of us who already work our butts off who are picking up the slack and still put up with the bosses totally incorrect view of this other woman. Very very frustrating but no solution has presented itself just yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Are you sure you know all there is to know about her situation?

How do you know what leave she is taking?
    Perhaps she has negotiated terms/pay with the boss?
    Perhaps she has childcare issues or a sick child? Going through a marriage break-up? A relative has died?
    Is the start time or work hours set in stone? If not 9:30-5:30 with no lunch is 8 hours that sounds fair to me. I plan on working the minimum hours when I go back to work later this year. I don't want bubba to be in daycare any longer than necessary. I suppose different women value different things and perhaps we shouldn't judge..

**** it's quite possible this lady is a bludger I just wanted to provide another perspective.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally hear you Op! I have a similar situation going on where I work. What irks me the most is that I know the person is being paid more than me to do half the job i do! Grrrr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Are you sure you know all there is to know about her situation?

How do you know what leave she is taking?
    Perhaps she has negotiated terms/pay with the boss?
    Perhaps she has childcare issues or a sick child? Going through a marriage break-up? A relative has died?
    Is the start time or work hours set in stone? If not 9:30-5:30 with no lunch is 8 hours that sounds fair to me. I plan on working the minimum hours when I go back to work later this year. I don't want bubba to be in daycare any longer than necessary. I suppose different women value different things and perhaps we shouldn't judge..

**** it's quite possible this lady is a bludger I just wanted to provide another perspective.
    I'm pretty sure I know about most her situation - she has no kids is single, on similar pay to me and knows she is tardy...her reply to arriving late is "my bad!" the woman lives literally lives a 5 minute train ride from work so to be arriving at work constantly at 9:50 am means she probably woke up at 9:30am.

There is nothing negotiated with employer either, otherwise I'd expect the office manager to also know - the office manager notes down anyone who arrives after 10am, and has stated to me privately that she thinks this employee knows this and arrives at 9:50am knowing it wont get noted to the boss.

I dont think she has any reason for constant tardiness i.e 3-4 times a week....and work times in our work contract state 8:30am to 5pm or 9am to 5:30 pm.

I do understand the fact that sometimes people have special arrangements - I've arranged with my boss to leave work 1 hour early two days a week to pick up my DS from daycare (I live a 1+ hour train ride away from work so need to leave that early to get to daycare just before it closes)...but I also make up for this time with working back the other days, weekend client meetings and after hours appointments with clients.
    I would expect the same from my colleague if she comes in late, but when she has an after hours appointment eg 7pm she makes it an excuse to leave work at 2pm without factoring in her tardiness that day and through the week.....no one even knew where she went when she left until we noted on her calendar she was doing a 7pm appointment that day.

She also had the nerve to try to question me in front of my boss at a lunch about leaving early on Fridays. We were at a lunch with boss sitting directly across me and she says out of no where "Oh what time do you leave on Fridays?"....I obviously had no problems answering this as my boss is aware of everything, but boy was I tempted to say "oh, how come you've been turning up at 9:50 am everyday and leaving at 5pm when the boss isnt around?" ....but I just bit my tongue.

I have absolutely no problems with someone working minimum hours required for work, where I do have an issue with is when everyone else in office manages to do the hours except this woman and then she is constantly telling everyone how busy she is, and tries to make out like she is such a hard worker. Also taking 3 hours of work time for personal appointments like the hairdresser when the boss isnt around obviously doesnt help if you are so busy with work.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Firstly, don't get involved with any further discussions with the office manager - it can be construed as gossipping

The office manager knows full well the other employee is pushing the envelope and it's upto her to take it up with the boss.

Don't worry about the other employees work ethics or hours - it will (eventually) come back to bite her, concentrate on working your agreed hours which is what you'd be doing even if she worked her agreed hours.

Unless, of course, if her poor work productivity is having an impact on your work load. Then you have every right to go to the office manager or the boss and put in a complaint.

Keep your own diary if you must but be very careful. You are better off just making sure that you do the right thing and not worrying about her.

If she elects to try to make you look bad, only concentrate on defending yourself. What she does has no bearing on what you do in the workplace.

I have worked with some awful people in years past, and they all eventually come to grief on their own, and anyone else who insists on getting involved always end up getting looked down upon unles it was specifically their job to manage the person/problem.

Good luck - deep breathes - this too shall pass

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (10-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally understand. I work with a team that is very overworked and people are always taking sickies. But lately I have been coming to work an hour late every day as I have bad morning sickness. I negotiated this with the boss in private though. sounds like your co-worker is taking advantage.

Is your work recorded? In our workplace all our work is recorded in the system so the manager can do stats and they are able to tell how much work each person is doing. Usually they know more of what is going on than you might think, as people from other teams tell the manager what they see, etc.

My DH's work, however, they have no proper records or stats of who does what and some people really do abuse it. Management know who is trying though and eventually those people will get promoted and the other people will stay at the lowest level forever

COngrats on your preganancy by the way.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to soccer mum For This Useful Post:

Night Owl  (10-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I finished up working at that workplace 4 weeks ago, so I no more annoying co-worker for me ....but I did notice that I was more annoyed at her when I was pregnant. When I wasn't pregnant, because her work the last two odd years really didn't affect mine it wasn't so much an issue.

I can be thankful I guess that the other people I worked with were fantastic at doing their jobs and great people in general.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using BubHub