+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby thrashing in sleep

Our 5 month old is a very active sleeper, she thrashes around in her sleep sometimes to the point of waking herself.

She hates being swaddled and will scream the house down if she cant get her arms out so we cant do that.
    She's not hungry because she's on an automatic feed pump with a nasal-gastric tube.
    We cant let her keep thrashing around because she's oxygen dependant with prongs up her nose and she keeps pulling them out even in her sleep.

So we are getting no sleep because she's either rattling around in her cot so much or she wakes herself up or we have to keep checking she still has her nasal prongs in

Help!!

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hello! I was just thinking about you and your little one (I followed your threads before she was born - congrats!).

In terms of having her arms out - my little one is like that too - so was my first. Is it the desire to just move hands or is she trying to swat at the tubes?

The reason i ask is that Someone has loaned me a Wrap Me Up Swaddle..it's a larger size, so she doesn't feel too snug. So she can move her arms around to touch her face and sleep with her arms out but it's just snug enough to prevent startling.

Could that be an option? An oversized version that keeps her arms close, but allows movement and keeps fingers covered - maybe she won't be able to take the tubes out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was about to suggest the Wrap Me Up (also known as Love To Dream) swaddle too. Has worked a treat with my DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also a big fan of the Love to Swaddle. It's a zip-up stretchy sleep bag which encloses their arms comfortably up towards their face. It's snug enough to control any big thrashing (we had the same prob right from 1mth old) but still allows them to move. My DD used to grunt & groan all night when trying to fight normal swaddle wrapping but self settled within days of getting this! But you probably want to buy at least 2-3. My daughter sucks her fist through the wrap & rubs it on her face to fall asleep so they need to washed frequently. But definately a great idea!