+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Activities to do with a 13 month old?

My dd is 13mo.
    I use to work full time, and now I'm a SAHM.
    I want us to "do things together" as in the past I would work all the time and not spend much time with her, So now with me being at home with her all day every day I'm struggling to find activities to do with her. She is also an only child.

Things we have tried so far and have failed are
    Coloring, giving her pencils ect to draw with but she seems more interested in trying to eat them rather than draw...

Filling a little pool with water, she didn't like that to much and seemed quite frightened of the water :-/

Reading books together, this lasts for about a minute before she decides she has had enough and goes and does her own thing...

Some one gave us stickers for her first birthday and I tried showing her she could stick them onto things which she loves but then go frustrated that she couldn't pull the stickers back off lol.

She has a very short attention span, and would rather do her own thing... Which makes me feel sad because I'm feeling guilty that we didn't bond enough when she was younger.

I really want to be a "fun" mum, and would really love to be able to do things with her

Daughter> 03/02/2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!
    Have you tried taking her to the park? My 13 month old loves the slides and swings!

We have also tried play dough which is sometimes successful and sometimes just gets eaten!! We also dig in the garden and look at the birds and play crawling chasey!

She also loves playing by herself somedays so I think that's fairly normal!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check what activities are run in your local area - eg. Music, storytime at library, swimming lessons(can be bit pricey), playgroups?

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we do:
    monday toddler gym (pcyc) and a swim
    tues play in the park/story time (pcyc)
    weds playgroup then shopping
    thurs daycare atm but used to be rhyme time at the library
    friday rhymetim and park in the arvo
    weekends we go swimming/park/visit family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your dd sounds just like my DS and I've always been a SAHM (now work 2 days pw) so don't feel guilty that she's independent. Trust me, after 2 days of having the world's clingiest 13 mo I would love to have my Mr Independent back.

We go to the library, the park, walks in the pram, hang out on the back lawn or in the front garden and watch cars go past, he has a water play table for the deck and loves just a big bowl of water and a few cups and wooden spoons, etc. We also bought him a ball pit and some blocks. We do lots of housework together, he helps me put clothes in the machine etc

I want to join a playgroup. We've been to Rhyme Time at the library a couple of times although he's not interested in dancing. I'm also going to look into Toddler Gym and play centres.

He likes just going out for a coffee sometimes too. Although obviously he doesn't drink coffee!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    we do:
    monday toddler gym (pcyc) and a swim
    tues play in the park/story time (pcyc)
    weds playgroup then shopping
    thurs daycare atm but used to be rhyme time at the library
    friday rhymetim and park in the arvo
    weekends we go swimming/park/visit family
    That is very organised and you must be busy! Sounds great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thanks ladies! You have given me so many ideas, it has been a bit hard for me lately because we have only 1 car, and Dh takes that to work.. But his hours just changed at work so I'm now able to have the car for the day, which should help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricebubblez View Post
    Hi!
    Have you tried taking her to the park? My 13 month old loves the slides and swings!

We have also tried play dough which is sometimes successful and sometimes just gets eaten!! We also dig in the garden and look at the birds and play crawling chasey!

She also loves playing by herself somedays so I think that's fairly normal!!
    Haha I bought some play dough but havnt tried her with it yet lol, I'm guessing she will eat it.
    But she spent an hour today playing with 2 raw potatoes... She has all these toys and a mummy who wants to play and yet she finds 2 raw potatoes more appealing? Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I am also a SAHM to a 13 month old son. We tend to listen to a lot of music, DS loves dancing/moshing to his Playschool CDs. My son adores his books at the moment, and we tend to read for a huge portion of the day. We spend a fair bit of time outside, either in the garden, at the park/zoo/bird avairy etc. or to the museum/indoor playcentres when the weather isn't great. Puzzles and musical instruments are among the fave toys at the moment in our house, as well as pretend food that DS likes to share with the pets and I. We just joined a playgroup, which we go to for a couple of hours once a week which is great for him to interact with other little ones, and go to 'Giggle and Wiggle' at our local library.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your DD sounds exactly like mine at that age, it has only been in the last few months she will play with her toys and now she no longer really plays with me lol. My DD loves dress ups, baking and anything arts and crafty, we watch a show on ABC for kids called Mr Maker and then we make the items that he makes. I know your daughter may be a bit young for that but if she watches you she might join in a little (or eat the glue lol). I always worry i'm not spending enough time with my lil one but at the end of the day sometimes they just want to play by themselves and this can also be very good for their independance. You could also join a playgroup so she could interact with other little kiddies. Good luck it can be so hard to entertain them all the time.