+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default who do I call? where do I visit? what do I do? for midwife care.

Hi,
    I am a bit confused and am trying to decide between public or private and obstetritian or not. If I decide not to go with an obstetrtian (cause I am a bit worried about the intervention rates) what do I do? Where will I go for appts? hosital, centre? where? How do I get into a midwife group program?

I live in a smaller town but will prob go to newcastle for birth. I read somewhere John hunter has both a maternity ward and a birth centre.
    What is the difference and how do you go about going to one or the other? Do you just ask a gp to book you to hospital and then you see whoever is at the hosp each time for each appt? Do you get appts or do you just go in and wait?

If I am quite keen to see the same preson at each visit do I have to hire my own private midwife? They seem just as expensive as ob's so if I was going to pay that much i guess I would go with an ob.

Sorry for so many questions, im just confused. Thanks so much for help in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can't help with your location but my private midwife in Melbourne is costig around $2.5k after Medicare rebate. She will be at the birth but won't have any clinic rights. I do shared care with her and only have two appointments where I have to actually go to the hospital for appointments.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

plain dreaming  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plain dreaming View Post
    Hi,

If I am quite keen to see the same preson at each visit do I have to hire my own private midwife? They seem just as expensive as ob's so if I was going to pay that much i guess I would go with an ob.
    The difference is that the private midwife will generally be with you throughout your labour and birth. Obs generally leave you to the hospital midwife's and may drop in during the labour or birth.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

plain dreaming  (04-03-2012)