+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Surgery during AF?

I have booked in today for major surgery to my sinuses on 26th April. But I just realised that I may be in the last couple of days of AF at that time. It is surgery where I need to stay overnight so not just a day surgery but my ENT said it should only take about 90 mins to 2 hours to complete the surgery.

So do you think there would be any issues if I had a menstrual cup or tampon in during the surgery?

For anyone that uses the menstrual cup do you find it actually speeds up your AF making it shorter in duration?

I have never had major surgery except for when I had my wisdom teeth out and I was on the BCP then so I could pretty much decide when I wanted to have AF visit. I won't be going on the BCP again anytime soon though.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi HOMS. from my experience usually the nurses ask you to wear a pad. tampons may get forgotten while in you and nurse may forget to check it while you are in recovery so its an infection risk. since its a day procedure, try calling the peri op clinic of the hospital before you go in and ask them what they reommend.
    goodluck with your surgery!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks samar81. That makes sense too. I am just waiting on a quote for the cost of the surgery and to talk to my phi so when I get that sorted I will call them.

Still interested to hear from anyone using a menstrual cup as to whether it shortened your AF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ive been in this situation, I was given disposable undies to wear with my pad. It was no biggie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi HOMS, using a cup didn't seem to reduce the length of my AF, but it did make the cramping much less painful, particularly if I inserted it a few hours before AF was due to arrive.
    On another note: good luck for your surgery