+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Which baby doll to buy toddler to prepare for new baby?

Bub #2 is due in two months and I want to buy my 2.5yo DD her own baby doll to look after once she's born, but there are so many on the market I have no idea which one to choose!

These are my requirements:
    - she's got to be able to bathe it (so no soft-bodied dolls)
    - maybe something about the size of a Baby Born so I can buy play nappies for it, and
    - it'd be nice if its eyes closed when it lays down (so DD can tell that her baby is asleep).

That's pretty much it. I'm also torn as to whether to buy an anatomically correct doll (even though it kinda weirds me out!) - my thinking is that DD won't really care or notice. I'm also not sure if I should buy a wrinkly newborn-looking doll or a more happy, smiley baby doll. The best ones I've found so far are the Berenguer La Newborn Nursery Doll (a newborn boy doll) and the Fisher Price Little Mommy Scrub-a-Dub-Dub Doll. Not terribly keen on Baby Borns as I don't like their faces and they're a bit pricey.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eww...I've just read a review of the Scrub-a-Dub-Dub Doll on Amazon and apparently it's really hard to completely drain the water out of it and so the inside of the doll gets mouldy. Better scratch that idea!

And I've just come across another doll which, for better or worse, kind of creeps me out (even as a breast-feeding mum myself): the Breast Milk Baby (Google it). Reminds me of Robert De Niro in 'Meet the Fockers'...
    Last edited by SeaShanty; 02-03-2012 at 13:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    if you have a newborn nursery near you you can get some lovely dolls there and the sell all of the accesories as well, we got one for our dd, its a lovely doll

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's the newborn nursery?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 (2 yrs old) has a soft body (plastic head, arms & legs) baby doll that is water friendly. I think it came from Mr toys & wasn't pricey at all. Not sure about clothing for it though as whenever I dress it, it gets undressed pretty quickly. The eyes stay open but it doesn't matter as "babydoll" (we are imaginative with names) sleeps with a blanket over her head.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mine loves her baby born and she is now four and still adores it and plays with it all the time. It can even be bathed with her as its all plastic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Newborn Nursery

Is a store at northlakes westfield, brisbane , they are on the net as well.

You go into the store and your dd chooses the type of doll and what she wants it to look like and then she gets to "adopt" it and give it a name and even has a "doctor" check the baby.It made it so real for my DD she loved it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beccacino View Post
    The eyes stay open but it doesn't matter as "babydoll" (we are imaginative with names) sleeps with a blanket over her head.
    I shouldn't laugh but that cracks me up - A-grade parenting from a 2yo!

Will check out the Newborn Nursery online and maybe look into the Baby Born a little more closely - maybe I ruled it out too early because of my own prejudice (ie its slightly freaky doll face) when my DD may actually like it.

Thanks girls!

BTW, I forgot to ask if Baby Borns are anatomically correct...? What are other people's take on this issue (ie willy or no willy)...?
    Last edited by SeaShanty; 04-03-2012 at 19:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaShanty View Post
    I shouldn't laugh but that cracks me up - A-grade parenting from a 2yo!

Will check out the Newborn Nursery online and maybe look into the Baby Born a little more closely - maybe I ruled it out too early because of my own prejudice (ie its slightly freaky doll face) when my DD may actually like it.

Thanks girls!

BTW, I forgot to ask if Baby Borns are anatomically correct...? What are other people's take on this issue (ie willy or no willy)...?
    Actually baby born just has a hole for the vagina and another for the bottom. We are expecting a boy in June and I think I will go to the educational toy store and buy her a proper boy baby. I like them to look right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    good question OP - I am doing the same thing for my almost 2 year old DD for our new bub in June.
    I was just going to get a baby born thinking that the one with the potty may be beneficial for toilet training too..?