+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Electrolux front loader for cloth nappy wash

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone uses an electrolux front loader washing machine to wash their cloth nappies?

Im going to be using CN when bubs arrives in September, I wouldnt have a clue how to wash them in a front loader or what settings to use.

I have an Electrolux 7kg time manager machine.

I would love to hear how all you CN mums use your front loaders.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a Whirlpool front loader. I will be using the super-eco cycle on mine. It takes 4 hours and I run it overnight, but I have found everything is super clean after that cycle. It also uses the lowest amount of power (and off peak if I run it overnight). Occasionally I will use the super hot wash on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a front loader (LG washer/dryer) and I find it works great! I do a rinse and spin cycle (rather than a pre-wash) on 600-800rpm. Then I do a long 40 degree cotton wash (2 tablespoons of Rockin Green, and sometimes a little splash of Canestan Rinse in fabric softener compartment) with extra rinse on 600-800rpm. Then I do another rinse and spin (same as first one). If a nappy is dirty after spraying off in the toilet I always give it a little hand wash or a soak in a little bit of Rockin Green, I find the stains are harder to get out otherwise.

Some things to think about..

- I always do an extra rinse after normal wash to get out any leftover detergents (as front loaders don't use much water, so I was having build-up issues before I added the extra rinse cycle).

- wash on gentle (I wouldn't spin on any more than 800rpm as it's too hard on the nappies).

- use a little less detergent than u would with a top loader. The less u can get away with the better when it comes to cloth nappies I find.

I always liked top loaders until I got my front loader. I've had it for 5 years and still going strong! Touch wood..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the same washer you do and it's a pain to wash nappies. You have to make sure to wash a full load, adding towels if you need to in order to get enough water through them.

First, a cold rinse: I use the hand wash cold cycle with no detergent. Then, a regular wash cycle with a teaspoon of detergent, dissolved in water. I always do the extra rinse at the end, but sometimes they are STILL soapy, so another rinse may be necessary. Too much soap can give your baby a rash and affect the absorbancy of the nappy. I use a phosphate free and enzyme free detergent.

Good luck!
    Sent from my Desire HD using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have an Electrolux front loader and haven't had any issues, that being said I haven't been cloth for long. I use the cottons setting and use the prewash option, but don't put anything in the prewash compartment. I use one tablespoon of phosphate/enzyme free powder and run it on either cold or warm and 800rpm. I've had no issues so far and the nappies come out beautifully.
    Last edited by MissPoss; 11-06-2012 at 00:46.