+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1 in 200 risk from Nuchal Translucency

I have been given resluts from my bloods and Nuchal Translucecy as 1 in 200 and my doctor has said I am at high risk of a Down's baby. I am concerned and have chosen to have the Amnio. I feel a bit out of my depth with knowledge even though my doctor has explained things. It's a lot to take in and I am very worried. I am 33 and this is my second baby. Currently 13w3d. I guess I am scared of what the results will be as well.
    Just after some support on what to expect and if I am doing the right thing?
    The waiting is killing me.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dear Hawywardtina, I can imagine this is a worrying time for you- I believe you have definitely made the right choice, and there is much more chance than not that your results will be all good and you can go on an enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. I have had an amnio with my second ( I was 33) and recently a cvs with my third baby so I could make a full informed decision once the results came in. Cvs might be an option for you so you don't have to wait another few weeks for an amnio. Both took about 60 seconds- it feels weird, but not painful, with a little cramping afterwards, and the fast results come in 2 days. All the best to you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 1 in 89 result fot my NT scan and bloods, which was a shock as im 23. I had a CVS as you can have these earlier than an amino. I was petrified to say the least as i hate all things medical ect. I believe the Amino and CVS are much the same, first of all a you get a local, then once thats set u get the other needle to extract whats needed. I didnt dare look at the needles and my DP helped me alot.

I know the stress and wondering must be driving your crazy atm, but as hard as it is please try relax a little.

As for doing the right thing, everyone is different with their opinions, but for us we did it as we needed to know what we were facing in the future.
    You can also get Express results, ours were back within about 36hrs. We got the all clear and also found out its a boy (i guess finding out the sex is a bonus for what we had to go through).

As for advice:
    Dont listen to the 1 in 100/200 chance of miscarrige, ask ur own doctor as its actually much lower.
    Give your self 2 days at home to relax afterwards
    Pay the extra $120 for the express results, worth every cent in my mind

Good luck, If you have any questions or need to talk just let me know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi..I can completely understand your stress and anxiety.I had a 1:236 chance of down syndrome. I was devestated.I am 37 and have a 2 year old daughter.So after bursting into tears I booked in for an amnio but had to wait 3 weeks for it.Anyway on the 2nd March I had the amnio,its not awful but i wouldn't say it was pleasant either.So far no complications a bit of period like cramp after the proceedure but thats all. I will get the FISH (rapid) results on Tuesday . Good luck with what you decide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi haywardtina, my thoughts are with you at this challenging time. I had an amino about 2 years ago after my nt test came back with a 1:64 chance of having a baby with down syndrome.

Overall the test (amino) was rather painless, as you've mentioned the wait leading up to the test and waiting for the results is the worst. If you can get the 'fish' processing then your preliminary results will be back within 24 hrs. If you're finding the wait hard then it may be worth enquiring about cvs, although if you have a posterior lying placenta majority of OBs will encourage you to hold off for an amino. If you can get a couple of days off work after it helps as you should keep your feet up.

I hope everything goes well for you, btw my results were fine, my son did not have down syndrome.
    Take care x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, just wanted to say that if it turns out your bub does have Ds, and you want to talk to someone about what it's like to have a baby with Ds, please feel to pm me.

Good luck with your results.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using BubHub