+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Birthday gift question.

Okay so DDs birthday is not for another 6 months but I wanted some advice.

DD gets pretty much whatever she wants and needs from us. She has to much of everything!!

So this year we were thinking of asking immediate family (who will buy for her regardless) if instead of gifts they would like to contribute to taking DD away to Melbourne to go to the zoo, museum and aquarium ect. My Mum thinks its a great idea and said she would much prefer to do that. But I still feel pretty stingy asking.

I just don't want anymore crap for her!! She has too much and I know they will buy "stuff" even if I ask them not too!!

I asked ILs to sponsor an animal in DDs name instead of a gift and they refused

So anyway what do you think? Rude or sensible?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's a great idea!! Alternatively, if you are close to them, you could ask them to take her out/spend some time with her as their gift. My SIL often requested that we don't get a present for her DS1 or DS2 - instead we would take them somewhere fun for their birthdays - great bonding time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    I think it's a great idea!! Alternatively, if you are close to them, you could ask them to take her out/spend some time with her as their gift. My SIL often requested that we don't get a present for her DS1 or DS2 - instead we would take them somewhere fun for their birthdays - great bonding time!
    Thanks! We should be flying over so they wouldn't come too. But I was thinking they may even feel more comfortable buying her a ticket to the zoo or aquarium even? That way they are still "giving" her a present. Q

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very sensible. I hate waste and am very practical though.

I think just give people the option, and they can decide what they want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks MsMummy, that's what I will do. I'll put it out there and hope for the best!

I hate waste too, she got so much rubbish for Christmas! Useless toys that she losses interest in in 5 minutes that are now at the bottom of her toy box.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, I think it's a great idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think an experience is an awesome
    idea can always look back at the photos and have memories rather than
    a
    toy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks em and bubble! I'm glad everyone else thinks its a good idea too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually I disagree.

My son is the same - has enough toys - but my family just LOVE buying him toys and I don't want to take that away from him. So for his last birthday hubby and I only bought him one token thing and just let the rest of the family give him stuff. I figure it's not spoiling cause they never buy him stuff at any other time of year. I tried to ask them not to give more than one small thing each... and it kinda worked hahaha.

I wouldn't want to be asked for money for a 2 year old's birthday - I would find that quite rude. I would want to get them a toy or book or something so I can see their enjoyment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think its ok to ask for no "stuff" - but a bit like a wedding people dont like to be asked for cash. I think the tickets are a good idea.

Alternatively - could you not ask for clothes or books instead - practical gifts?

Another idea is a charm bracelet - I have a pandora for DD that I started at her first birthday and add charms to - you could ask people for a charm?