+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Cats drinking milk.

A few people came into the other thread simply to say not to give cats milk, obviously skimming through and missing the part that said the type of milk they have.

Divetelac comes in a tin and can be bought from the vet or some pet food stores. It's a formula milk replacement that's suitable for any animal from tiny mice through to cows. A lot of wildlife carers keep it handy for possums, kangaroos and other mammals, and I bought it because my kitten went to stay with the foster carer I got him from and came home demanding it. I figured it was summer so it can't hurt to let him have a small dish of cold milk. He is only 5 months old and the vet said there's not a problem with using it into adulthood, but it really isn't necessary after 12 weeks.

I'm happy to let him have it, I use condiment dishes and he only he has it in the morning, unless he demands it at other times. My dog doesn't really get it much, but he sometimes does, and the new cat has been given some simply because she wasn't eating and I felt better knowing she had something.

Just thought an explanation for those who were concerned would be nice. It was being missed in the other thread.

It's nice that people are concerned though

Funny story, my kitten goes a little funny when he's waiting for me to mix it up. He meows lots and does front flips in the kitchen. My lilltle impatient bub. This is why I continue to give it to him. He would be very sad if I stopped lol. Yes, they are a spoilt lot

2. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    oh lucky ot doesn't affect your cat! our one vomits on cat milk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    oh lucky ot doesn't affect your cat! our one vomits on cat milk
    There is another thicker formula but I have never used it. I've also never tried any supermarket milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As far as i know Dogs and Cats are lactose intolerant so cows milk will give them the runs. Divetelac and puppy/kitten milk will be lactose free. Divetelac is awesome really good for puppies and kittens. It's god nutrients in it also that simple lactose free milk doesn't have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by laurea View Post
    As far as i know Dogs and Cats are lactose intolerant so cows milk will give them the runs. Divetelac and puppy/kitten milk will be lactose free. Divetelac is awesome really good for puppies and kittens. It's god nutrients in it also that simple lactose free milk doesn't have.
    Yes, that's why I was happy to give it to the new cat when she wasn't eating.