+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default Pets and babies

So last night I found out that DH is thinking that we'll have to get rid of the cats when the baby's born. They're completely indoor cats and while he's a little bit concerned about them smothering the baby somehow but most worried that if I don't pretty much follow the cats around with a vacuum cleaner sucking up every stray hair they shed that the baby will choke on the cat fur.

What did other people do? Did you get rid of your pets?

I'm thinking about building a cat run so at least the cats could spend more time outside and would mean we could lock them in the laundry/cat run when needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have two dogs (staffie crosses) and kept them, one absolutely loves DS and ways has, one has always been indifferent to him.

Having pets helps lower the likelihood of allergies too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Pets are great for children as they get older. You shouldn't have to give up your pets just because you're having a baby - heck, could you imagine the poor animal welfare leagues if this was common practice???

Just ensure that they stay out of bub's room, perhaps give them a nice bed in a room in which you can lock them away while baby is sleeping, cat run is a good idea and meh about the fur, just clean as normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Other people get rid of their cats for these reasons, and that's why animal shelters are overloaded with unwanted, rejected pets.

People know that cats will usually live for X amount of years. People also generally know that their own breeding years are usually between X and Y and that they MAY have babies in their future. Do they not consider these things when purchasing a pet?

Honestly, if you use common sense, your baby will be fine. My cat wanted to sleep in the cot before my baby was born... the moment she was born, he never went near it again. Some people install screen doors to the bedroom, so you can still hear the baby calling out from the cot, but the cat can't get in. It might be something to consider if you're worried about smothering.

Otherwise, just watch your baby when the cat's around.

Cat hair is unlikely to kill your baby unless it's born with a severe allergy. Not every baby will face-plant the carpet and lick it, getting a mouthful of cat hair. Our carpets were vacuumed maybe twice weekly... there were 2 cats in that house, and I don't think I ever had her choking on fur. Or even having a little bit of it in her mouth. The only risk was when she decided she'd try to munch on the cat itself, but they were smart enough to know to stay away from that wriggling, screaming thing that tried to grab them.

Keep your house relatively tidy, worm and flea your cats, and all should be well.

(And apologies if the irresponsible pet owner thing comes off as harsh and mean, but seriously... cats end up put to sleep for this crap all the time, and it's just disgusting that people who think pets are disposable like this are pet owners to begin with).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We kept our cat and DD is obsessed with him! I think it's great for children to have pets. But I was worried about the cat smothering her in her sleep so we got a cot canopy (by Babyhood I think) and she still has it at 15 months with no problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister has 2 indoor cats and she kept them when her DS was born.She just made sure they weren't alone with him. He is now 3 and he absolutely loves the cats. I myself have 2 dogs and a 3 week old. They are fine with him, I just make sure that they aren't alone with him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The bub in our house is 4 months old and she was playing on a blanket on the floor yesterday. Our long haired cat came and slept on the same blanket. He was indifferent to her, except when she kicked him (but he still didn't move!) and she didn't have any cat fur on her
    He still sleeps in her room, but only under the cot, on the floor or on the rocking chair - he loves the room.
    The other cat also loves sleeping in the nursery. Before bub came along it was not at all uncommon to find them curled up together in the cot, but now she's here they don't sleep in it anymore

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I transformed the shed into an outdoor cat enclosure. I built a big enclosed chook pen type thing off the shed. The study became the cat bedroom where they slept. I had 2 Tonkinese cats who were 5 and 6 at the time. I had one from 11w and the other from 16w, same breeder. My mum had a dog who is now 13 and used to live with me and dd on and off because of my mum's surgeries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have two dogs and have absolutely no plans to give them up when bubba comes...

We made the choice to get pets, we knew that it was a long term investment and they are a big part of our lives, we will just have to adjust our routine slightly.

I always wished I had pets when I was a kid and I want our daughter to grow up with animals around her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have two cats. Me and DH were considering putting them outside (we had a massive yard) but when we brought DD home they were scared Pooless and refused to come inside so it made the guilt of not wanting them inside 100% easier.

They are happy and still very much loved and spoilt. Still outside cats 2.5 years later. They come in ever now an then but actually prefer it outside. Me and DD spend most of our time outside with them anyway.