+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Growing cramps :o(

So DS has been waking up a few nights in a row, screaming his lungs out and pointing to his legs going "ouw ouw ow". He is that upset that it takes me well over an hour to settle him down again. That's quite unusual for him.
    He's a size 5 tops and size 2 bottoms/pants. So I know his legs are due for a growth spurt. Because he's that hysterical, he will spit out any Panadol and Nurofen I try to give him. I rub his legs, but that doesn't seem to help much. Even seems to make it worse.
    Are there any other suggestions to help with these painful cramps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd take him to the doctor just for a check up. I've heard of growing pains but my ds never had any. I suppose it could just be a cramp, but I'd still just get a doctor to check him out. What about a hot water bottle or heat pack (not too hot)? Or can you get him in the shower or bath? (heck if you've up for an hour already trying a shower or bath won't make that much longer)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD gets them a lot. Doctor said its because she is growing too fast.
    She is off the charts for age unfortunately this also affects her weight so she is like a stick.
    Go see a doctor just to be safe.
    Sometimes I will give her Panadol if she can't sleep. Or a hot shower helps.
    Heat packs also help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had them in my feet when I was in primary school. Very painful. I ended up on crutches for a few weeks as I couldn't stand on my right foot.

Best to take him to the Drs for a check up.

abiishu is offline embrace your inner birthing goddess
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD used to get them.

Kids calcium tablets at night may help. Good for the bones, and helps them sleep too. Magnesium supplement for kids may also help.

Heat packs. Or cold packs. My DD always prefered a cold pack.

I think reassurance is important for them too. They don't understand why they are in pain and it always seems to come on at night when they are alone in bed. So we would always reassure DD by telling her we know that her legs hurt, but there is nothing wrong with her, it is just her bones growing big and strong, and her legs will feel all better when she wakes up in the morning.

My DD is not very good at taking pain relief but on the few nights they were unbearable for her nurofen seemed to help it settle quite quickly.

Hope you find something that works for your DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately he is developmentally delayed. Telling him that his bones are growing, probably sounds like "blah blah blah" in his head.
    I went to see the pharmacist and he said not to give him magnesium supplements. He said to just get him magnesium rich foods like nuts.

I have made an appointment with his GP for Tuesday. Its the earliest I can get in. I tried to get a heat pack on his legs, but he just went even more hysterical. Mind you, it was 26 degrees at midnight. He was hot and sweating as well.

My son has been off the charts since he was 4 months old. At 26 months he's 109cm tall and 19kg heavy. As he's got short stubby legs, carrying all that weight on them wont do him much good either. So hopefully he does grow a cm or 2 in his legs soon.

Next time when this happens, I will try a nice warm shower with him. It's the least I can do seeing as he wont have a heatpack.

Thanks ladies xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to get 'growing pains' in my legs when I was a kid, I believe it may be linked to low vitamin D levels.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/40...ency-leg-pain/

Thanks
    Reviews
    my ds used to get them a lot when he was around 3 yo (he's quite tall for his age).
    it was horrible and he was inconsolable.

i spoke to a naturopath and among other supplements (which he wouldn't take as he refuses to take medicine) she said that in the old days, tonic water was a remedy.

so i started giving him a little bit of tonic water (schweppes as it actually has quinine in it) before bed and it helped a lot.
    funnily enough, it is the only fizzy drink he now drinks!!!

people don't realise but tonic water was just that - a tonic drink to 'cure all' due to the quinine. (so was coke but that was due to the cocaine....)
    it's a great thing to keep in the fridge for tummy upsets, growing pains, colds and flu. you can buy a small 4 pack of bottles if you don't drink it yourself.

but in my house it always sits in the fridge next to my bombay sapphire..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    With DS (just turned 5) we find that a warm shower and a rub with oil on his sore leg helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my son gets these, especially if hes been running/jumping around on trampoline etc all day..

I havnt heard of a lot of these things so thanks! Ill be trying a few of them