+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Shooting pain through breast

I've been breast feeding my DS for 8 weeks now without any problems. Tonight I've had a shooting pain through my right breast. The pain is over fairly quickly but it stops me in my tracks when it happens. Hasn't happened while feeding.

Just wondering what this could be? Dr Google seemed to believe its thrush...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had the same thing happen and wondered if it was thrush, too. Ended up going to the doc, who referred my to the midwives at our local hospital. The very experienced MW on duty looked at H's mouth and said that it defuinitely wasn't thrush cos he was clear.

Instead, she said that cos he's such a large baby and very hungry, he was sucking me dry (which is good for milk production) but that was what was causing the burning sensation. She recommended boosting my milk supply (drinking plenty / feeding plenty) and / or putting him on solids - he was nearly 4 mths.

Your bub is a bit young for solids so I'd be making sure that you have plenty to drink and see what happens.

Your BMA consultant may be able to help, too.

PS. I was more likely to get pain at night, too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsd For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Thanks for sharing. Bub was feeding A LOT today so perhaps he has sucked me dry. I'll increase my fluids and see how I go the next few days. Really hoping its not thrush.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bumping for day crowd

Thanks
    Reviews
    It could still be thrush, sometimes it gets inside your breast (so you have thrush in your milk ducts), but it isn't on your nipple (or in your bubs mouth). If that was the case, you'd need to treat it internally (but of course talk to a dr first).

Another cause could be baby damaging your nipple with a bad latch or by clamping down. Damaging nerves in your nipple can cause shooting pains.

i would get a midwife/lactation consultant to check your latch and your nipples, and if there is no improvement, see your gp in case it's thrush.

Good luck! I had a month of intense breast pain with DD, but we've come out the other end. It was worth persevering. I hope you resolve it quickly!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy in the Sky For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check your temp, if you have a fever (over 37.5) you could have mastitis. If so, make sure you get to the drs ASAP for antibiotics.
    Feel for you! Hope you get better soon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to elleseetee For This Useful Post:

abiishu is offline embrace your inner birthing goddess
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would ring and talk to the Australian Breastfeeding Association (I think its 1800 mum2mum)

They will be able to ask you questions and help you figure out what it is. I have had thrush before and it was like razor blades, and I also got some kind of bacterial infection which is common on the skin but can get inside the nipple if you have a cut or tear. I could not stand anything on my breast when I had the infection, not even water in the shower or a slight breeze! Had to get ab's for it I think.

Hope you get it sorted out soon!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to abiishu For This Useful Post: