+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jensha View Post
    I noticed a lot of people are saying 'they are not into etc' but what about what the child likes. What if the child wants to wear black or pink!? Or really wants light up shoes, dress up clothes, a shirt with there favourite character on it. Why is it about whether the parents dislikes when the child is a little person and may have there own likes and dislikes different to the parent.
    I let my DD's choose (usually though to avoid them picking something totally inappropriate i will pick a whole bunch and let them choose from those selections or pick the colour). As i said in my earlier post i am not into pink but DD1 loves pink so a lot of her clothes are pink - i'm not going to deny her a favourite colour in clothing just because i personally prefer other colours but i will deny something if i think it is inappropriate (like too short or crass slogans on t-shirts etc).

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Benji  (05-03-2012),GothChick  (05-03-2012),Jensha  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD is too young to choose (20mths), but I know she gets excited if she wears clothes with her favourite characters on, so I do stifle my inner clothes snob and buy her character clothes based on that fact

I thought of this thread today, as I saw a Fred Bare dress for 2 year olds that was leather! It was a black leather shift dress - same style as an adult might wear. I have to say, I was not a fan...

Also not a fan of one range they do at Target. I can't remember what it's called, but it's got pictures of little girls that are a bit Bratz-y type characters on it, and it's all leopard print, and very grown up fashion type stuff. It's in the toddler section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laurea View Post
    Short - shorts. WTF seriously the amount of tweens and 13- 14 year olds (and younger) wearing TINY shorts coupled with midrif tops is alarming.

I have seen so many mothers walking with their daughters in shopping centers with them dressed like this. I seriously have to stop myself from shaking my head I seriously don't get it. I think it's wrong.
    I see girls wearing these and I think if the shorts are so short you need to wear a g-string because your butt is hanging out, it's too short. If we have a girl I will encourage her to dress 'trendily' but not showing off every curve. LEss is more.

For a baby girl in summer I do like the old fashioned smocked dresses with bloomers. they are cute. I also like swing tops etc.

I am not a fan of all the licensed things. DS has a few. Some cool Mickey mouse things we got from Disneyland but they are understated.

I tend to buy a lot of Esprit for DS and also clothes from the US.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jensha View Post
    I noticed a lot of people are saying 'they are not into etc' but what about what the child likes. What if the child wants to wear black or pink!? Or really wants light up shoes, dress up clothes, a shirt with there favourite character on it. Why is it about whether the parents dislikes when the child is a little person and may have there own likes and dislikes different to the parent.

This is where we are at a lot - my 8yo has very very distinctive 'taste' and we have closed negotiations - I'll give her a few options and she choses between those.

She doesn't get the choice of unsuitable stuff, but still gets to choose color for example.

We will discuss stuff we find in the op shops - I show her what's suitable she chooses whether or not she'll wear it. If stuff gets too small, it gets washed and never gets returned to the cupboard

It is about negotiation - and so long as we discuss it she normally sees reason. At the end of the day though, I'm the one with the money and I get final veto

As for how she puts it together - we also discuss weather/occasion/suitability of her choices. Ultimately I still have the power of veto.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (05-03-2012),MothersMilk  (06-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kezanazz View Post
    But those types of shoes are really bad for little feet.
    They offer no support or cushioning...
    Dd has a pair of sandals and a pair of runners, both professionally fitted as she has feet that are flat and turn in.
    That's all she has til she out grows them.
    I would rather her have two pairs that are good for her feet than 100 that aren't.
    My kids also have professionally fitted runners but would not be seen dead in them with a pair of jeans!!

They wear casual shoes for casual things where they don't need 'support'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Haven't read all the replies.

I allow my children to be creative and choose what they want to wear for the day. However I do the deciding of what is in the wardrobes.

I don't mind:
    Characters, loud clothes, lights on shoes, ribbons, cars, black, brands, costumes, etc

I don't like and won't allow:
    bikinis, thin straps, triangle (anything accentuating the breasts), offensive text, tasteless pictures (ie gross sculls with blood etc), short skirts (unless tights are worn) awful materials.

I prefer:
    Nice,well. Presentable clothing, stripes, collars, really girly stuff specially lovely dresses, good shoes (good soles, not bad materials etc) nice vibrant colours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my house, shoes seem to be taken by pixies in the night and hidden in the most unlikely places - toyroom boxes, under beds, under the trampoline on rainy nights ...

So I have no probs with my boys wearing sneakers with jeans - or anything really - cos:

a) they've found a matching pair of shoes, and

b) they only own school boots, sneakers, sandals (yes, F has spiderman light-ups!) and thongs and IMHO shorts go much better with sneakers than with black school boots!

We all got out of the car at church the other rainy night and F was wearing thongs with jeans! *cringe*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
    In my house, shoes seem to be taken by pixies in the night and hidden in the most unlikely places - toyroom boxes, under beds, under the trampoline on rainy nights ...

So I have no probs with my boys wearing sneakers with jeans - or anything really - cos:

a) they've found a matching pair of shoes, and

b) they only own school boots, sneakers, sandals (yes, F has spiderman light-ups!) and thongs and IMHO shorts go much better with sneakers than with black school boots!

We all got out of the car at church the other rainy night and F was wearing thongs with jeans! *cringe*
    OH the horrid shoe pixie.

I wish she would curl and die........

She visit her way too often. This week alone we have had visit 3 times and it only tuesday night. DD2 has made her, her special friend. How can one child lose her shoes three days in a row. Now dd3 is following close in her footsteps.

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There's isn't anything I don't like , I've never even put much thought into it .

Comfort is always my number one , no annoying hoods or zips , or tops that ride up , all tags cutoff etc .

And any brand I'm fine with , whether its 2 dollars or 20 dollars , if I like it I'll buy it . I love licensed clothing , my son loves Cars and Toy Story and is so happy when wearing something with those characters on it .

As for runners with jeans I've never heard of that being a no no in my life !!??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't believe how many people hate headbands! I hear this a lot, too. My 4 month old still has very little hair, and I LOVE the big, flowery headbands on her to make her look girly. Unfortunately, she gets annoyed by them so we don't wear them.
    I have a 3 year old boy who couldn't care less what he wears. I love dressing my baby girl in frills and pink.
    She wears spaghetti straps on dresses. If anyone thinks I'm sexualising her by doing so, I'd think they have a problem, not me.
    Crass slogans a definite no-no. Make-up/piercings a definite no-no for kids.
    I wouldn't put my baby in a bikini but when I see other babies in bikinis I don't automatically think they are being sexualised