+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Too early for morphology scan?

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this?
    I went for my scan today that was booked by the radiology dept of the hospital I am 18 weeks +6days. The sonographer told me I had been booked too early as she prefers to do morph scans after 20 weeks, she then measured the baby which was spot on for dates then refused to compete the scan and wanted me back in 10 days. I am so upset no apology was offered for our inconvenience my hubby had taken the day off work unpaid, whats more i am now rebooked for the 12th I told them i am working that day and was told "too bad"! Has anyone ever had this happen? Im considering making a complaint as she was just so rude!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah, it can be too early. They usually like over 19 weeks. I thought i was 19w2d when u had mine, turns out i was a week earlier than i thought. As a consequence, bubs spine wasnt ossified as much as it should have been. So we had a 'scare' being told our bubs may have spine probs, and told to get another scan in two weeks. Turned out bubs was fine, but my point is that they have scans when they do for a reason, not everything may be formed yet, so they cant assess if everything is within the realms of normal.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It can be really hard to get good measurements and accurate information from a scan done prior to 20wks. They need bub to be big enough to see, but not so big that they're all squished up and the organs and bones need to be formed well enough to get the information that they need.

There are places/sonographers that will do the Morph scan prior to 20wks, but most prefer to do it later. You really should have been told when making the booking, so i'm sorry you had a wasted day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No not too early at all!!!! I had my morph scan at 18 weeks 6 days with my Ist Pregnancy and I also had it at the same time only 1 1/2 weeks ago with this pregnancy. Got all the measurements!!
    My OB auctually told me he wants them done between 18-19 weeks.
    Make a complaint! Sounds like you were treated very very rudely

Also lots of ppl on bub hub have had their morph scans this early

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Winterbubs1012 For This Useful Post:

laurea  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi op

I had my morph scan done at 18 weeks 2 days. Have always had the scans done at 18 weeks with all my children. This has been a normal thing to me bubs measurements have always been fine at that stage.

The defiantly sound rude and I would complain no one deserves to be treated that way hugs xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my scan at 19w exactly and the only problem we had was bubs wouldn't roll over to give a good angle to image his heart. I had both my 12 and 19 week scans at Ultrasound Care in Sydney, and everyone at both clinics were wonderful. They do the scans between 18 and 20 weeks.

They shouldn't have been so rude to you, and more importantly, why didn't they tell you when the booking was made?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had both my morphs done past 20wks my ob preferred it being done then as dates can be out meaning u would have to be rescanned and rechecked again at 20 wks any ways!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for your replies ladies

I totally understand the need for accurate measurements of baby I am just more upset at the way I was spoken too and treated when that was the date for the scan I was given by them oh well not too much longer too wait and we can see bubba

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    More and more clinics are only offering the morphology scan from 20 weeks, as earlier scans can be inaccurate. It's not uncommon for a sonographer to refuse to complete the scan prior to 20 weeks.

However, the manner in which you were treated is appalling and I would suggest complaining. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of sonographers out there with very poor bedside manners, in my experience!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (02-03-2012)

BoyCrazy is offline <MY SWEET BABY GIRL HARPER 9 MONTHS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    yup i got told this when pregnant with my daughter. I think I may have been just before 19 weeks. They told me I was too early for my morph scan measurements, especially on her heart. I was told to go back in a week. Which yes i know was a bit annoying, but i just saw it as another chance to see my beautiful baby