+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Rather contradicting don't you think, death threats from pro-lifers???
    Pro-choice all the way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have to agree with Sassy. I find it more sickening pro-lifers are making such threats but it does not surprise me the amount of hateful comments Religious people make when they are not meant to be judging and make the same threats:/
    Last edited by fairyflossfairy; 01-03-2012 at 17:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I haven't read it but I'd wager she isn't arguing for anything in particular, rather she is trying to provoke thought and ethical discussion surrounding abortion and infanticide.

What is the difference between a 38 week foetus and a newborn? Is it simply being in the womb that removes rights from otherwise viable babies?

Incredibly emotionally challenging things to consider, but I suspect highly relevant to medical ethicists? Or any ethicist really I guess.
    From the article: "Therefore, we argue that, when circumstances occur after birth such that they would have justified abortion, what we call after-birth abortion should be permissible."

http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/201...11-100411.full

The article goes through reasons why abortions are justified, why newborns and foetuses are morally equivalent, therefore afterbirth abortions (i.e. killing newborns) should be allowed in similar circumstances.

I can see why it is controversial, though I think it is more academic piece of writing than policy as PP said. Definitely not death threat worthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleK View Post
    From the article: "Therefore, we argue that, when circumstances occur after birth such that they would have justified abortion, what we call after-birth abortion should be permissible."

http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/201...11-100411.full

The article goes through reasons why abortions are justified, why newborns and foetuses are morally equivalent, therefore afterbirth abortions (i.e. killing newborns) should be allowed in similar circumstances.

I can see why it is controversial, though I think it is more academic piece of writing than policy as PP said. Definitely not death threat worthy.
    Agreed. By definition ethics needs to discuss issues that would otherwise be considered off limits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I consider myself pretty pro-life but even I can see that she was just writing a paper on a thoeretical subject.

I think people get very emotive about these sorts of discussions, which is normal but you need to put your own issues aside sometimes.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (02-03-2012),Benji  (02-03-2012),Trusty Chords  (01-03-2012)

Guest Guest
    It doesn't really make sense to me and I don't see it as the same.
    It says because the baby relies on the mother after it's born if the mother can't or doesn't want to look after it she should be able to choose to end its life.
    But pretty sure it's why we have adoption. There are plenty of people out there who will look after that baby and it can sustain life after its born without the mother.
    Allowing abortion is bodily autonomy, the mother owns the rights to her body and the baby is part of her body etc etc. and you can't force someone to continue a pregnancy etc.

Yeah I don't really get the discussion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    perhaps she is actually pro life and she has put this paper out there to make people consider that terminating an unborn baby is as unethical as terminating on who has been born?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma inky View Post
    perhaps she is actually pro life and she has put this paper out there to make people consider that terminating an unborn baby is as unethical as terminating on who has been born?
    This was my thoughts also