+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 3 year old kinder

Apologies, as I know that similar threads have been done before (and I have had a read of a couple), but would like some more suggestions/advice if anyone has any to give.

DD is just on the cut off for school (born end of April) and is 22mths at the moment.

I have been told by multiple people in the last couple of weeks that I should have already been putting in applications for 3 year old kinder....oops! So now I am considering my options......

She is currently at daycare 4 days a week while I finish my degree (hopefully by the end of the year)....I don't know what my working hours will be after this but I would like to only work 2 days if possible and hope to have another baby at some stage in the next 12-18months. So, my options are:

1) leave her at daycare to do their kinder program (they have a qualified teacher, but this might be only for 4 year olds....will have to check it out).
    2) enrol her in a 3 year old kinder program next year and possibly have her repeat it if necessary (or, go into 4 year old kinder and repeat that the year after)
    3) wait a year and enrol her in 3 year old kinder in 2014 (but she will be 4 in April of that year , so not sure how that works).

What do I do?!?

It's a bit hard to predict how she will be in another years time. She is quite reserved in general, but has really come out of her shell in the last couple of months (since getting grommits) and her language is delayed at the moment due to a hearing impairment (now fixed).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is a couple months older than yours so would be starting school the same time. He does 2 days at daycare and will do the same next year. I have applied for 4 year old kinder at the one close to home, but will still possibly leave him at daycare doing their kinder program. Our kinder applications only opened today for 3 and 4 yr kinder, but each area is different. I have thought of holding him back, delayed speech, but have decided to proceed as normal and then if ye is still behind as a 4 yr old then he can repeat 4 yr old kinder. I'm told this is quite normal as a lot of kinder teachers will recommend to parents to hold them back if they feel they would benefit from being a bit older starting school.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would probably cover all my bases - put her name down for both next year and the year after at any of the kinders you might consider. That way you will hopefully have more options when the time comes to make a decision.

My DD is born end of March and has just started school at 4 (nearly 5). Most of the other kids her age are not starting until next year. It is a very individual thing, DD was born ready for school so I had no problems with her being the youngest when she was clearly ready, but it is hard to know what your DD will be like in a few months, let alone a few years.

She did kinder at daycare (went 4 days a week at 3 and 4) and it was fantastic, I found it better than a normal kinder, but that also could have been because she was there for 9 hours a day rather than just a morning or whatever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meant to say that my ds has just turned 2 and I too feel that kinder and school are a long way off and it is hard to figure out what to do. I think daycare is great and if you like them and their program, then I'd stick with them.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I guess I should just put her name down at a few and wait and see. I will look into the kinder program at daycare as I am certainly happy with the room she is in at the moment (toddlers - I think they move up at 2.5yrs). I notice that alot of the kinders have a payment needed to "hold" their place which is a bit frustrating for me as I don't know what I want to do yet!!