+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Exclamation baby powder causing bladder cancer...

my midwife at my last appointment was telling me that i dont need to/ shouldnt use baby powder as it can cause bladder cancer. (something about it going up the urethra)

has any one else been told this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I read on the ovarian cancer website that there's a theory that it could be linked to ovarian cancer. But that's just it - a theory. I don't think there's any hard evidence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes it's quite well known, I think Johnson and Johnson were sued over it years ago, use only corn flour based powders as talc is toxic and apparently has asbestos like qualities, putting on baby girls especially is supposed to be really bad as it can get into the vagina and I think is why it is linked to ovarian cancer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When my Mum had stage 4 cervical cancer (and not from HPV), she was asked two questions: Do you smoke and do you use baby powder. She couldn't believe the 'baby powder' question as she is a powder-a-holic! She covers herself in the stuff and always has right from when she was a child.

Whether it's a proven theory with the cervical or ovarian cancer or not, as soon as I heard that there has been 'talk' of a link with baby powder I no longer use it and especially on girls as I have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    How did things turn out with your mum, Uniquey?

I do agree, I think whether the link has solid evidence or not, powder isn't necessary enough to risk it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post

I do agree, I think whether the link has solid evidence or not, powder isn't necessary enough to risk it.

sorry to hear about your mum uniquey.

once she told me, dh and i decided not to use baby powder. not worth taking risks on those sorts of things. its also not necessary (what she said)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeySeeMonkeyDo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my goodness, Im shocked at this!

I was told yesterday by my cousin who is studying nursing that powder is very bad for lungs and is discouraged.

I use it sometimes under my breasts and between my legs... maybe I should refrain?

I use Johsnons baby powder on my little girl and Curash powder on her also!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I heard that too so I've switched to the cornflour one. Better safe than sorry.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Penny88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Lovely of you to ask Benji, and thank you Mummyandbubby also.

After a long hard road of treatment and basically every bit of her female anatomy taken/cut out she has been given the all clear. That said, you're never really out of the woods after something like that, especially when it gets to stage 4 and initially being given only a few months to live, so she has to be regularly checked.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Benji  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have heard it before, but it has not concerned me as I've never used powder on my kids.